8x12-15 chicken tractor?

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
hey guys! im curious if anyone has ever built a tractor this big, and if so, do you have pics? I am planning to make it large, because my run attached to the coop isn't properly sized to my coop... the current coop size is for up to 20 hens (8x10x7) ,and the run is 8x10x6... I want to make it 8x12-15 to complete the lack of run... like put them on fresh grass, but also have the option to park it on my current run to complete the space requirements…. any help appreciated!

Here are a couple of pics of our chicken tractor we are building that is 6' x 12'. It is modeled primarily after the Suscovich chicken tractor you can find on YouTube but we changed a few things to suit ourselves. We are building 2 of them. Instead of buying a conduit bender and metal conduit we opted for flexible electrical conduit similar to PVC. It was much cheaper and easier to work with -- we just purchased 90 degree and 45 degree elbows to mimic the shape of the Suscovich metal arches. We used the U-shaped metal pipe clamps instead of drilling and screwing directly through the conduit. That way we don't risk it cracking at the attachment holes.
chicken tractor 1.jpg
chicken tractor 2.jpg

Thanks! my dad probably has those tools....he is a "DIY guy" before it was cool:lau:gighe is literally the handiest guy I have ever met! he operates small cranes and loads the shipping boats, he built (and is still building) our house, he is a mechanic, can fix any electronic, loves animals and farming, researches everything, is amazing at math, and cooks like a pro!

The biggest issue with big tractors(or any really) is the wheels/tires,
they need to be wide and a large diameter.
8x12' is going to be heavy and hard to move, the bumpier and softer the ground the harder it will be.
This ~8x8 hoop coop that I built and sold,
worked great on my 'lawn', but didn't fare as well on the buyers rough pasture.
Romance meets Reality.

I absolutely agree with Aart on the tires. The larger the diameter the better it handles rough terrain. The wider the tire the better it handles soft soils.

Since your Dad is handy, if weight is a bit issue (and it can be) you might consider building it in two parts that can be connected when in place. I did that in the short time I had my tractor, used bolts and butterfly nuts for easy hook-up and disconnect. Used guillotine type pop doors between to seal them when moving them.

I know nothing about this. But my Dear Partner the carpenter says that anything built with steel studs will be much lighter in weight. They are usually only used in commercial building, and I think require some specialized tools.

Probably not very helpful, although I believe weight is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom