8x12-15 chicken tractor?

There was a guy on here who built a pretty massive tractor, like 2000 lbs, which had to be towed with a truck. Let's see... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-flying-fortress-chicken-tractor.1213066/

Haven't seen him around since but he had pretty detailed info on his threads so maybe you can find some inspiration there.
luckily for me all this has to be is wire with a floor and doors frame! it would be much, much lighter! since mine wouldn't include nest boxes, heavy feeders, roosts, walls for wind protection, to name a few.... Thanks!

The biggest issue with big tractors(or any really) is the wheels/tires,
they need to be wide and a large diameter.
8x12' is going to be heavy and hard to move, the bumpier and softer the ground the harder it will be.
This ~8x8 hoop coop that I built and sold,
worked great on my 'lawn', but didn't fare as well on the buyers rough pasture.
Romance meets Reality.
thanks! I had seen this and was curious how big it was!

Nice!! I really like that one!
You were concerned about weight. I don't know how much ours actually weighs but we installed a large rope at the front run through a 3' long piece of PEX tubing to keep the rope from cutting into the hands and I am able to lift and move it by myself and I am not a bodybuilder or anything like that....just a 53 year old woman with a little bit of upper body strength. We have it located on our lawn in front of the barn. We installed 12" diameter "no flat" tires from TSC and it rolls just fine.

You can build a run to go with the coop you built. My latest one I built out of 3/4” electrical conduit and pvc outdoor furniture grade pvc fittings. I used these because of the UV resistance. Mine is 10’x20’x 2.5’ tall. It fits against my tractor so the chickens have access to it all day. It is light enough that I just drag it.

Can we see the whole thing please?
How big is the coop part?
the coop is 2 1\2 x 5... I get pics of the run after work!

You can build a run to go with the coop you built. My latest one I built out of 3/4” electrical conduit and pvc outdoor furniture grade pvc fittings. I used these because of the UV resistance. Mine is 10’x20’x 2.5’ tall. It fits against my tractor so the chickens have access to it all day. It is light enough that I just drag it.

Size is in article ;)

I absolutely agree with Aart on the tires. The larger the diameter the better it handles rough terrain. The wider the tire the better it handles soft soils.

Since your Dad is handy, if weight is a bit issue (and it can be) you might consider building it in two parts that can be connected when in place. I did that in the short time I had my tractor, used bolts and butterfly nuts for easy hook-up and disconnect. Used guillotine type pop doors between to seal them when moving them.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom