Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
Hi everyone! I have a large ever growing flock. (Chicken math) I have an 8x12 shed I converted into their coop and they free range. My dogs do a great job protecting them during the day but I'd like to build/buy a run for extra security. How big should I make it? Is it cheaper to buy the lumber and build myself or buy one on Amazon? Wood is so expensive where I am and time is a factor as well as I have 3 little kids (stay at home mom) show me some ideas what you have and your opinions.

The space I'd be building it is completely covered by trees.

I have 25 all together. 11 of those are laying hens the rest in a brooder.

Photos of my eggs this week because I'm proud of my girls!

Attachments

• 20240314_163120.jpg
    20240314_163120.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 25
25 is more birds than an Amazon run could handle, plus theyre a little flimsy. I'd get some t posts and 6' fencing. I'd do a 10x20 run, at minimum.
Yeah I was thinking I'd have to get at least 2 of the largest runs. They'd still free range with me while I'm outside, but I'd have the security to be able to lock them up somewhere when I run errands or something. I have t posts lying around and some extra fencing. But my main concern is hawks.

Yeah I was thinking I'd have to get at least 2 of the largest runs. They'd still free range with me while I'm outside, but I'd have the security to be able to lock them up somewhere when I run errands or something. I have t posts lying around and some extra fencing. But my main concern is hawks.
Hmm. You could cover the top with fencing as well, just have a few supports in the center.

i have hawks too. I live on the side of a mountain in a valley. They are very patient and love to sit from afar where we cant see and watch..... i have a safe area for chooks to free range and will use bird netting on top to protect from aerial predators. Its good enough to run inside the house quick, but I would never leave them in there and leave the house. I'm wayyyy to nervous. All i need is to come home and see a hawk all wrapped up in the netting. I have already saved one hen from a hawk, it was on her will its talons. She lost lots of feathers and healed well with only a couple deep scratches. And....., i was right inside the house watching from the window! I looked away for about 45 seconds and BOOM, there it was. The toll it took on me and the flock is one I will never want to pay again. i am a very nervous chicken momma. I have 7 hens and vowed to always do my best to keep them from harm. Everyone wants to eat them. Someone on BYC once said Its not a matter of IF a predator will attack the hens, its a matter of WHEN. :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom