8x8' Coop almost Done!

Thanks, I'll have to consider that. Not really sure how to make it user friendly if I use hardware cloth to section the space off though.

Your coop will be predator proof, so you don't need to make the chick section into fort knox. 1/2" hdw cloth is nice, but, I use 1" plastic chicken wire and that does ok for setting up brooding spaces as well. I have learned to be sure that the bottom 4" or so of the brooding area is solid. I've had a mean biddy try to grab chick toes under the partition!

Do you think a raccoon would attack during the day? Just trying to figure out how important putting wire on the top is if they are only out during the day.

Yes, a raccoon or any other predator will attack during the day. Wire or netting on top of the run is absolutely necessary. Hawks will swoop in to kill your birds, and even crows will take a young chick.

Great coop, I'm glad you did your homework!!!!!! :thumbsup Oh and you don't have chickens yet either, but your coop is about done, you get triple bonus points for that:bow
OK, so one thing you might be doing, but I don't see it done yet. Are you going to use Sweet PDZ on your poop board? Put 1 x 3's or 4 around the edge to hold it in and I would put one piece of vinyl over the painted wood also, don't use the squares. 1/2' of PDZ is all you need.
I bought my chickens last year with NO COOP! lol

the threat of predators can seem obscure, and for a year or two or three you can feel like you have managed to succeed without the expense and trouble of wire mesh/hardware cloth, only to eventually wake up to devestation. once the issues start, it's not all that unusual to see bold, in broad daylight, attacks. I have friends who have such a rat problem that the rats are seen mid day, waddling around feeding from the chicken feeder without a care of whose around, and other critters can get lazy and overly comfortable as well. if you can keep the rats out, you can keep most anything out, it takes leaving nor more than a 1/2" gap anywhere in the envelope, it's a pain in the butt, but it's so much easier than trying to fight the problem after it's taken root.

Thanks for the information. It looks like I might have made things more difficult by getting a dog run instead of building it from wood and hardware cloth. I’m not sure what would be the best way to attach hardware cloth. Do you think galvanized wire would be good?

Awesome setup!! :ya Boy, are you prepared! You did a great job on your coop :highfive:

As @lazy gardener said, predators will attack at any time if there is a good chance that they'll get a free meal. I have had possums and coyotes attack during the day, so I would secure that run ASAP ;)

Thanks for the information. It looks like I might have made things more difficult by getting a dog run instead of building it from wood and hardware cloth. I’m not sure what would be the best way to attach hardware cloth. Do you think galvanized wire would be good?

You can wire the hardware mesh on with short pieces of electric fence wire. Make sure to make small loops on tag end to cover points. Needle nose pliers with make that easier. The dog kennel makes a good long lasting run. My 1st run was made of wood but it turned into the new wing of my coop. My square foot computations were off.

Looking at the suggestions others have made may look like a lot more work but in reality you will do it later if you dont now. Wish i was as organized as you. Me thinks the suggestions are really lessons learned from the authors. I know mine are.

PS assume all predators are on a 24 work schedule. Coyotes and others can been seen during the day in urban and rural settings. They seem to know everyone is at work. My nocturnal predater attacks came between 11am and 1 pm while i was inside. Some within 20 feet of the house. They even know my penned dogs are no threat.

Last edited:
I think you can attach the hardware cloth to the existing fencing without adding more structure. you'll have to see about the hardware cloth going across the top needing additional support. you will want to either go down about 18 " all the way around the and bury that much hardware cloth, ideally angling out away from the inside, so that if critters dig, they will lose ground and get discouraged. then use this tool to mend the seams, cyncing a band about every 3-4 inches or so:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Miller-M...87702&wl11=online&wl12=16454251&wl13=&veh=sem

as long as the hardware cloth seams are well mended, you don't have to worry as much about attaching it to the existing fencing, just enough to feel that it will hold. hopperkiller has some good ideas on that above.

You can wire the hardware mesh on with short pieces of electric fence wire. Make sure to make small loops on tag end to cover points. Needle nose pliers with make that easier. The dog kennel makes a good long lasting run. My 1st run was made of wood but it turned into the new wing of my coop. My square foot computations were off.

Looking at the suggestions others have made may look like a lot more work but in reality you will do it later if you dont now. Wish i was as organized as you. Me thinks the suggestions are really lessons learned from the authors. I know mine are.

PS assume all predators are on a 24 work schedule. Coyotes and others can been seen during the day in urban and rural settings. They seem to know everyone is at work. My nocturnal predater attacks came between 11am and 1 pm while i was inside. Some within 20 feet of the house. They even know my penned dogs are no threat.

What type of electric fence wire are you referring to? Would I find it in a normal hardware store?

Back
Top Bottom