8x8 Coop Building Diary!! *pictures* UPDATE on pg 7!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Morgan7782, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Congrats on the new coop, how eggciting!!! Sooo Jealous, I want a really nice coop, but have to be sure it is bear proof. As for the idiots on Sac Craiglist, don't even get me started!!!!

Oh and their prices, puhlease!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Keep us posted. Love to see construction, especially chicken coops! Thanks.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    8 feet for nesting boxes? I have 11 hens and a roo and I have 2 milk crates for them and I get 6-10 eggs in there. They take up 2 sq feet and you will only need to 2-maybe 3 nest boxes for them. Also make them like 16-18 inches of the ground to make more floor space. Post pics as you go!

-Nate

4. farmer_lew

farmer_lew Hi-Tech Redneck

Jun 29, 2010
    In the hills
    Who is that strapping guy you have building that coop? Oh, wait....it's me! [​IMG]

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Good job on building a sturdy base. It is always interesting seeing the different types of pier blocks used around the US. We don't see that style up in Washington. (Sorry, I'm a building nerd)

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Dogfish I know it! I had never heard of the blocks with the wood slapped on top, it is a great idea! Each corner of the frame is connected to the wood top of a block to keep everything in place.

Okchickens, I am thinking something similar. I have a friend who has 4 laying girls and every day there is a traffic jam for the ONE "suitable" nesting box. Even though there are like... 4+ boxes. So I am realizing I may only need a few boxes. I think I am going to have them ground level though, I will be using tote bins turned upside down with entry holes cut out.

farmer_lew: That builder man needs to start his OWN coop building buisness. I would totally reccomend him lol! Fast worker, and knows construction. Thank you so much [​IMG] The floor looks wonderful, and I am SO excited to get the walls up! oh man oh man [​IMG]

Thank you all for following the thread and I will absolutely keep it updated as we progress! I am so excited for the SPACE! Ahhhh nice

7. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Quote:============

Would you post pix of the crates? on sides? Tilted? We're thinking of that or low buckets when we redo the coops this Spring. Thanks.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Doesn't it feel great to build it yourself! It looks fantastic so far! I danced a little dance on my floor when I finished building it! Keep the pictures coming! [​IMG]

9. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What size is that. 8'x8'? What style roof are you going with? Looks great so far!

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    It is in fact 8x8 feet. I will only have 8 hens but the more room the better, plus I really wanted something I could walk into and clean easily. We are doing a lean to style roof, it will be peaked at 7 feet in the front, and be about 6 feet in the back where the lowest point is. We are using 2z4's to raise the front of the roof, and the sides between the top of the wall and the roof will be open for venelation. I am putting hardware cloth up in the vent area's to make sure no critters get it. Pictures will be posted as we go. We are headed to Home Depot tomorrow evening, and will be starting bright and early on Wednesday.

Thank you! My friend should give some thought into starting his own coop building buisness. [​IMG] The floor went fast, and is built very sturdy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by