8x8 Coop - Floor Layout - Does this work?

I like it.
I am working on my shed to coop conversion and it has a very similar layout. I'll include some pictures. I really like the horizontal nipple waterer. The water stays clean and it's easy to heat with a thermostatically controlled bird bath heater or small aquarium heater in the winter. My chickens had been drinking out of a heated dog bowl up until the move on Easter Sunday. They walked into the new coop, went over to the waterer and immediately started to drink. No problems having to "train" them.
View attachment 1760377 View attachment 1760378 View attachment 1760379 View attachment 1760380 View attachment 1760381

Very cute. thanks for the ideas!

:goodpost:How many chickens are you planning to put in that run? Each chicken should have around 10m squared ideally, but you can squeeze a few more in if needed
10m square/chicken is huge! It is over 10x the suggested minimum space. Not that the chickens would complain! ;)
I use as close to 20 sq ft (1.85 sq m) per bird as I can and it is a comfortably sized run.

That really depends on the chickens. I had to clip the wings of my entire flock to keep them inside their electrified pen as they kept getting out and one was eventually attacked and killed by the neighbors GSD. Five of my 11 chickens need the ramp to get up to the roosts.
Some heavier breeds also cannot make a 3' jump.
I would leave the ramp in.
If the OP can move the food and water under the boards, that would be preferable so the chickens have a larger landing area when coming off the roosts as they will not take the ramp down. They will jump down.

thats weird my BO with clipped wings makes a 4ft jump then another 4 ft jump and roosts in the rafters. my leghorns also do this.

It looks great and is a very nice drawing too.
Was also going to suggest putting feeder under poop board until I saw the note about brooder space.
Ramp is fine, some birds like to use it.

full

Back
Top Bottom