8X8 dog run for chicken run

chickgma

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2012
Hi there! I'm thinking about buying a used dog run to attach to my coop. I have 8 chicks coming. Will that be enough room for 8 grown chickens? Do you think if I wrapped the whole thing in chicken wire, that would keep all critters out? I'd have to put some kind of roof on it too. What would you suggest?

Yes that's enough run space but I wouldn't go with anymore than that. We use only dog kennels for our runs as well. We do not wrap them or use a roof of any sort.

Yes that's enough run space but I wouldn't go with anymore than that. We use only dog kennels for our runs as well. We do not wrap them or use a roof of any sort.

Thank you for replying! Do you have many predators in your area?

i'm finding the chickens always want more space. the less space, the more you have to "tend" to them. my run does not have a top. it's four feet tall. i have two big dogs so that's some inhibition to predators. i also have an 18 x 20 shade cloth suspended in the middle section of the run. it serves for very valuable shade, but also hides the chickens from hawks i think.

i'm finding the chickens always want more space. the less space, the more you have to "tend" to them. my run does not have a top. it's four feet tall. i have two big dogs so that's some inhibition to predators. i also have an 18 x 20 shade cloth suspended in the middle section of the run. it serves for very valuable shade, but also hides the chickens from hawks i think.
Thanks again for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom