9 1/2 month old not laying

quone

Chirping
Feb 8, 2020
Thousand Oaks, CA
I got this chicken as a chick along with a Maran from someone on Craigslist. I wanted an Olive Egger, but when I picked them up there must have been 50 chickens and chicks running around and the guy just grabbed a couple. He said this one might be an OE, but could be an Ameraucana that lays blue eggs. Either way is fine, but it hasn't started laying yet. The Maran and a Buff Orpington and another Maran mix have been laying for a couple months now, so I'm wondering if something could be wrong. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, but eats fine and isn't picked on.
Pebbles.jpg

Looks like a CL crossed with Ameraucana(or maybe EE, so could lay brown eggs).

Looks like CL whose crest slipped down around her chin. :gig

Might be time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then maybe:
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I have to keep these chickens at my school, which is closed now. When it was open, they would free range for about an hour a day, now I go there every other day for a couple hours. There are always eggs in the nesting boxes, so she knows where to lay, and there’s no place in the run for her to hide them. I hadn’t considered that the eggs might be brown since the guy I bought her from didn’t give that as an option, and I‘m getting 3 eggs a day from 4 chickens. I‘ll have to look at the eggs more closely! 7ECDDC05-254B-43C3-8A84-04ADFB3ACAB7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom