9-eggs, only 8 chickens!

bnentrup

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Central Indiana
I have been consistently getting 9-eggs per day (24-hour period) from my flock of 8-chickens. One of the eggs usually gets eaten by one of the chickens though...and I am counting that as one of the 9...

It has been this way for about one-month now. The only reason I can think is that they are happy!!! I am continually outside with them... have named many of them-- and have taken fair care of them. Don't get me wrong, I am not perfect and have let their water run out, have let their food run out recently until I could make it to the store the next day (throw them a bit of scraps if I can).

My main point in saying this is to emphasize that my chickens have seem'd to be performing well regardless of my care for them...

I should also note that they have been on grass since they were born inside a tractor that I try to move religiously-- I think this has helped greatly with their health vs a coop with no vegetation.

ANYONE else experiencing good laying rates?

I know a bird laying 2 eggs in a day happens from time to time, they are usually pullets who are working out the kinks in their reproductive systems. It is odd that one would do this daily. I'm thinking it is not going to be a good thing for the bird in the long run though.
hmm.png
I don't know that you could do anything to stop it other than try reducing the "daylight" time she has.

All are 1-year old birds, and I believe they are 'pre-molt' - I was just curious if the outcome of the egg-eating causes them to produce additional eggs. And just for the record, I removed the egg-eater tonight.

Quote:
The egg eater would just get some extra protein and calcium. It should not cause more eggs to be laid. It looks like you have an over achiever in the group.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I have 8 Bantams and a rescued RIR. Five of which are Silkies and one is a Roo. Now everyone tells me that Silkies "don't lay well" but I get a TON of eggs. I swear that I have more than one Silkie that averages two eggs per day. I've gone out numerous times to find 13 eggs in a day, only 1 of which is from the RIR (obvious difference in size and color of course). So I don't know what I am doing that's so special, but they lay up a storm. I get so many I can't eat them all, I give them away, feed them back to the chickens scrambled, etc. I just give them a basic layer feed, water, scratch and some treats, like scrambled egg, noodles, watermelon, etc. Can't explain it, but I'm not complaining. Oh, I do have a very large run for the small number of chickens, and it stays remarkably clean because of that. So perhaps a happy chicken equals more eggs.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom