9 month old Buff Orpingron not laying eggs

Shelleyict

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
I have one Buff Orpington hen who is 9 months old that is not laying eggs. All the other hens we have that are the same age are laying. Is it possible that a hen will just not lay eggs?

They free range during the day. They are eating Purina Layena along with oyster shell and table scraps and meal worms for treats.

This girl is also at the bottom of the pecking order. She is also a bit skittish. Both of our other Orpingtons are still laying daily even in our Kansas winter conditions. We have 8 hens in the brooder that are 9 weeks old and will be moving to the coop in the next week or so and I'm afraid that will discourage her from laying even more with the new additions.

I have chicks that are 11 weeks old, if it was summer I would have let them mix with the older hens, but with our cold weather, I have been keeping them apart.

They free range during the day. They are eating Purina Layena along with oyster shell and table scraps and meal worms for treats.
She may be laying elsewhere if she free ranges. It's not uncommon for them to make nests in other places. Most of my buff Orpingtons have started at 5-7 months of age.

Back
Top Bottom