9 month old Buff Orpingron not laying eggs

each hens egg will look different than another hens egg. I'll bet you have three different looking eggs. The photo shows she's more than ready. The only reason she may not be laying is due to the solstice. Either supplement light or wait for late January to Feb. for her to start.

My birds are late to mature and my geography such that if they are not laying by early October they won't lay until spring. We don't bother with supplementing light.

This girl is also at the bottom of the pecking order. She is also a bit skittish. Both of our other Orpingtons are still laying daily even in our Kansas winter conditions. We have 8 hens in the brooder that are 9 weeks old and will be moving to the coop in the next week or so and I'm afraid that will discourage her from laying even more with the new additions.

My Hamburgs, at the bottom of the pecking order and also a skittish, seemed to take forever to start laying. I finally found a nest in the woods and realized that they had been laying but bullied by the other hens and not allowed in the nest boxes. I setup several potential nesting areas using straw bales in covered/safe areas where they hung out during the day, and put fake eggs in them. I also installed a few extra nest boxes in the coop, so that there were many more nesting areas available than should have been required for the size of my laying flock. The Hamburgs started laying in the makeshift nesting areas and, eventually, worked their way into the coop nest boxes.

This girl is also at the bottom of the pecking order. She is also a bit skittish. Both of our other Orpingtons are still laying daily even in our Kansas winter conditions. We have 8 hens in the brooder that are 9 weeks old and will be moving to the coop in the next week or so and I'm afraid that will discourage her from laying even more with the new additions.
You scare me there for a minute when you said you had hens in a brooder. Until you said those "hens". are 9 months old. Not trying to be mean or rude. But "hens" are not hens until they are a year old. Any chick is a pullet until they are a year old. Just so all of us are on the same page. Give her time she'll lay on her schedule and not yours. My brown layers have just started laying again. Well just one ( coming out of hard molts) but ai don't know which one it is. Very small eggs 55grams when they were laying 65-70 grams. They egg factory has to get back up to snuff. SOON. Only get 3 sometimes 2 day from my 5 white leghorns. A couple of them molted very hard. These are animals not machines. They love you give them time. They will perform.

My Hamburgs, at the bottom of the pecking order and also a skittish, seemed to take forever to start laying. I finally found a nest in the woods and realized that they had been laying but bullied by the other hens and not allowed in the nest boxes. I setup several potential nesting areas using straw bales in covered/safe areas where they hung out during the day, and put fake eggs in them. I also installed a few extra nest boxes in the coop, so that there were many more nesting areas available than should have been required for the size of my laying flock. The Hamburgs started laying in the makeshift nesting areas and, eventually, worked their way into the coop nest boxes.
Try putting up some curtains in front of the boxes that helped me with egg eating didn't cure it totally but a lot better. Out of sight out of mind.

She may be laying elsewhere if she free ranges. It's not uncommon for them to make nests in other places. Most of my buff Orpingtons have started at 5-7 months of age.
Definitely a possibility, I just found a little stash of cream crested legbar eggs where our girls freerange. I thought the decreased eggs were due to the shorter days... but no, they have just been laying outisde the barn 😁.

@halefamily_flock, that sounds like an absolutely beautiful flock!
Thank you! I think so...
flock.jpg

Back
Top Bottom