9 month old dog barking all night and sleeping all day.

Thanks for the replies. The other two dogs sleep downstairs on the carpet or outside depending on where they want to sleep. They are older (4 & 9 years), housebroken, and don't chew up stuff. One is a pekingese and the other is a border collie. If I bring my dog near them they try their best to get out the door cause they hate my dog so much. She doesn't have dog manners at all and the pekingese is to small to teach her and the border collie pins her down and gives her a nip all the time when she is around her but it doesn't help. She jumps at their face. Every dog she has been around since we had her hates her except for one which is my SIL's golden retriever that has ADHD but he can only take her for a little bit before he is trying to get away. Lately I've been having to keep her away from the border collie since she got a leg injury that needed stitches and I don't want her to jump on her leg and pull them out. Her room is pitch black except for any light that comes in the window from the outside light on the garage.

Here is how last night went. I fed/water her at 7pm, took her out, and had playtime (small amount of water since she looked thirsty). She was wore out at 9:30pm and couldn't hardly keep her head up so I decided to go ahead and crate her then. I took her back outside before crating. She slept for an hour and then started barking. I ignored it and my husband turned up the volume on his tv and she barked for 2 hours. Around 2:30 I had to go to the bathroom real bad and knew she would probably start her barking after I got done and since it was around 1am since she had barked last I decided to do one mid outing. I went in there and took her out and she hadn't done any barking, went out for potty which she did right off, and back in the crate, and she didn't bark. She started barking around 5am and I ignored it and she quit after a while. She started again at 7am and I waited for her to be quiet for 15 minutes before going in there to take her out and for feeding/watering. Since she did most of her barking before we went to bed I actually got more sleep than I had in a while. It was also nice that she pooped and peed right off outside especially at -4 degrees. No messes were made in the crate either. I'll do the same thing tonight. Right now she is chewing on her nylabone and had just been outside for potty time.

Good job!
big_smile.png

I had a bulldog, they are definitely needy. I have found that they do wonderful as only dogs, but if you have kids or other pets, they just don't seem to get as much attention as they need. Needy little buggars! I would do what you are doing, but WEAR HER OUT during the day. Constantly. Take her with you when you go places, make her stay with you on a leash when you are in the house and doing chores so she can't lay down and sleep all day. I promise you, if you wear her out and then put her in the crate only to sleep at night, she will eventually be quiet and sleep. But it will take a lot of work. I will never get another one, that's for sure! Good luck!

I did the same thing as I did the other night. Fed/watered at 7pm, went out for potty time, then had playtime, small amount of water, and back outside. Only problem was she didn't poop when I took her outside before crate time. She slept in the crate and around 1:30am I decided to take her out since I was tired and ready for bed. Took her outside and she peed but wouldn't poop. I stood out there for 5 minutes and it was -14 degrees last night so I wasn't about to stand around any longer. She went back to the crate and then at 5am she got barking. I kept waiting for her to stop barking for at least 10-15 minutes and that didn't happen till 6:23am. I decided to wait on the feeding cause I don't want ot feed her to early since I've had the problem before of feeding her early and then her getting up earlier each day wanting to eat more early. After I put her back in the crate she kept barking till we got up for the day and still had to wait on her to quit barking before taking her out of the crate. She has been trying to sleep on the floor again. I had to put her back in the crate for 15 minutes while I took a shower and then took her back out of the crate. I got on here to check messages and eat something and I keep having to make her get up. She is starting to learn what the "Up" command is when I say it and clap my hands. After I get done eating I'm going to do some laps up and down the stairs, playtime, and maybe a short walk if my hair is dry enough. It is very cold out today so I don't want to be out in it to long. After she has a reason to be tired I'm going to try to give my dad a call since I can't never seem to get a hold of him. Haven't talked to him since a month before Christmas. Going out for a steak dinner tonight so my FIL might take her out for playtime while I'm gone. I can't wait till it is warmer outside. Won't have to freeze going outside for potty time and will be able to go for long walks plus buy some chicks.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom