9 month old hen Limping

Thank you for your response and encouragement.. I was under the impression if I get more chicks from TS I should try to get ones that had been vaccinated? Should i just take my chances? Is trying to hatching my own a better way to go? What do you think will happen with these 4 young chicks?
Is a necropsy an option for your hen that just passed? You can keep them in the fridge a while, until you take it somewhere.

I would suggest reading about the Marek’s vaccine on this group. Use the search function and read up on it a bit. My chickens that died were vaccinated, their symptoms were just hidden for a while, until they weren’t. It’s a personal choice but I suggest you be better informed to make that decision. ❤️

I would assume the chicks have been exposed, personally. Both viruses travel through dust and dander, so escaping it would be difficult. I’d move forward as previously planned, personally, praying everything worked out ok for them. It very may well! None of this is a sure thing, even if they were vaccinated.

Praying you feel peace in whatever next steps you decide to take! Hugs!! ❤️

If this is Marek's they are at risk of becoming symptomatic around eight to ten weeks of age. If this is leucosis, they have an excellent chance of developing resistance and never becoming symptomatic for leucosis. These are the major differences between the two viruses.

If they do become symptomatic, showing signs of paralysis, it is a strong indication of Marek's in your flock.

Is a necropsy an option for your hen that just passed? You can keep them in the fridge a while, until you take it somewhere.

I would suggest reading about the Marek’s vaccine on this group. Use the search function and read up on it a bit. My chickens that died were vaccinated, their symptoms were just hidden for a while, until they weren’t. It’s a personal choice but I suggest you be better informed to make that decision. ❤️

I would assume the chicks have been exposed, personally. Both viruses travel through dust and dander, so escaping it would be difficult. I’d move forward as previously planned, personally, praying everything worked out ok for them. It very may well! None of this is a sure thing, even if they were vaccinated.

Praying you feel peace in whatever next steps you decide to take! Hugs!! ❤️
We buried them today, we had kept Tracy Bird sealed in the fridge, but when Martina passed.. we just decided we had had all we could take and buried them both. It’s been a rough week.

Attachments

• F17B07C3-2510-4B3B-A6DD-62E2E9785066.jpeg
    F17B07C3-2510-4B3B-A6DD-62E2E9785066.jpeg
    696.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3153A264-D6F6-4571-AA82-4A49DF5E1AFC.jpeg
    3153A264-D6F6-4571-AA82-4A49DF5E1AFC.jpeg
    599.8 KB · Views: 3
  • BE183B30-EF4E-42ED-A159-07ED8DACC880.jpeg
    BE183B30-EF4E-42ED-A159-07ED8DACC880.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 3
If this is Marek's they are at risk of becoming symptomatic around eight to ten weeks of age. If this is leucosis, they have an excellent chance of developing resistance and never becoming symptomatic for leucosis. These are the major differences between the two viruses.

If they do become symptomatic, showing signs of paralysis, it is a strong indication of Marek's in your flock.
Well, it’s been 2 weeks since we buried Martina and Tracy Bird… and one of the 2 young Black Copper Murans is now showing signs. 🥺 She is limping and moving slow. Rather than leaving her in the coop to shed the virus, and suffer… should we
Cull her? Marek’s seems the only likely explanation. Limping saggy wing.. Is there anything we can do to help our flock at this point? @KRack

Last edited:
AZVDL | Home

Contact Information​

The AZVDL is located at 2831 N. Freeway, Tucson AZ 85705-5021
Phone: (520) 621-2356 | Fax: (520) 626-8696 | Email: [email protected]
Business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
After Hours Service: A specimen refrigerator is located on the north side of the laboratory.
The AZVDL no longer offers after hours assistance with specimen drop-off. This has become necessary due to a retirement and issues with on-site housing of employees for the purpose of after-hour services. Until such time as we can find a solution for this, we must stop offering assistance for specimen drop-off nights, weekends and holidays. We recommend you explore local options for storage and preservation of carcasses until they can be delivered to AZVDL during regular business hours.
A PATHOLOGIST is available by phone between 8 A.M. and 9 P.M. at 520-909-2324 if you have an emergency and need to consult.

It's a two hour drive for you to this lab. It's about the same distance as my state lab in Colorado is from where I live. A few years ago, I had three out of four pullets go suddenly lame and worsen from there, eventually becoming too weak to eat or even move. When the third pullet got into this state, I wanted confirmation what virus I was dealing with. So I prepared a well cushioned with lots of towels travel box and installed my sick pullet in it and covered it so it was dark inside. The cushioning kept her secure and supported for the long drive.

When I got to the lab, having been alerted we were on the way, the lab tech came out and took the pullet from me and took her in and humanely euthanized her and did the necropsy immediately. By the time I got home, I got the results by phone.

In some states, the necropsy is free or costs very little. In my state, it costs $100. I elected for further pathological tests for another $100. The result was a diagnosis of lymphoid leucosis which I already had confirmed was in my flock, but the confirmation this pullet was also suffering from this virus settled my mind.

It's not a pleasant issue, but knowing what disease you are dealing with allows you to make good solid decisions about your flock. Not knowing just perpetuates anxiety. I recommend you call the lab and discuss how would be the best way to move forward with this.

AZVDL | Home

Contact Information​

The AZVDL is located at 2831 N. Freeway, Tucson AZ 85705-5021
Phone: (520) 621-2356 | Fax: (520) 626-8696 | Email: [email protected]
Business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
After Hours Service: A specimen refrigerator is located on the north side of the laboratory.
The AZVDL no longer offers after hours assistance with specimen drop-off. This has become necessary due to a retirement and issues with on-site housing of employees for the purpose of after-hour services. Until such time as we can find a solution for this, we must stop offering assistance for specimen drop-off nights, weekends and holidays. We recommend you explore local options for storage and preservation of carcasses until they can be delivered to AZVDL during regular business hours.
A PATHOLOGIST is available by phone between 8 A.M. and 9 P.M. at 520-909-2324 if you have an emergency and need to consult.
Tucson is 3 hours away..We have a closer place, we live in New River.. but have exhausted our finances at the moment. The neighbors who gave us eggs to hatch & chickens had marek’s in her flock in the past (i was unaware of the implications of all this- being new to owning chickens).

We decided that it is most humane to cull her. We spent a month trying help Martina… she was a robust and vibrant hen who fought the good fight.. this current hen doesn’t have near the gusto. I our hearts can’t take another few weeks of nursing a chicken and having her die in our house. 🥺

besides keeping the rest of my flock stress free and well fed with poultry cell in their water… what can I do to give them the best chance of surviving this Marek’s?

Back
Top Bottom