9 pips, no zips. It's been 6 hours.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

8 of the 9 pips have fully hatched out. #9 has barely a pip, I can hardly see it, and I don't see it moving. Here is the dilemma ... I have 10 eggs in there that were set 48 hours later than the original ones. My question is this .... Can I quickly grab out the 8 hatched ones and put them in the other bator set at 95* with some food and water?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

THIS IS DAY 20.... Holy cow.... I have hatched out 12 little chicks. There are still 17 eggs not hatched. I know that 10 of them were set 48 hours later than the rest.

Here are a few photos....
    The first arrival, by about 12 hours....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I would say yes,transfer the chicks.

then get the later eggs ready to hatch..

it is better to move the chicks now, rather than when the newer batch start to pip..

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Kathy, your hatch seems like it is going really well. If you still see pips, you should continue to wait (at least 24 hours) or until all eggs appear to have completed hatching.

your humidity will not go to 100%.. and what if it did?
    so what? It is only temporary..

Yes, humidity can get to 100%. I have seen it go to the point where it cannot be read on the hygrometer any longer. All it reads is "HIGH". That can result in a soggy hatch or mushy chicks, which will die shortly after hatch. I do not want to panic the OP with this hatch, as it does not appear to be an issue here, but I think you sound a bit sarcastic in your response and it should be clear, for educational purposes, that this can and does occur on occasion.​

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Free Ranging

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Quote:Yes, humidity can get to 100%. I have seen it go to the point where it cannot be read on the hygrometer any longer. All it reads is "HIGH". That can result in a soggy hatch or mushy chicks, which will die shortly after hatch. I do not want to panic the OP with this hatch, as it does not appear to be an issue here, but I think you sound a bit sarcastic in your response and it should be clear, for educational purposes, that this can and does occur on occasion.

I am sorry you read sarcasm into it.. I am just a blunt sort of guy, so I have been told many times.. sorry.

I don't sugar things up,

I suppose 30 years as a contractor and talking to construction guys made me this way.. believe it or not, I am holding back..[​IMG] you should see me when I let loose..[​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

I really do appreciate all advice and suggestions. [​IMG]
    Thanks to all of you.
    I can hardly believe this .... my first time, just a barnyard mix to give it a try. It has been amazing. I think I want to do it again! [​IMG]

I have taken the 12 out. Thought I had no pips, BUT I hear chirping now! So, maybe there will be more. I am pretty sure it is not from the later 10. Still 17 or 18 eggs in there.....

I am no good at candleing. So, if I thought there was something there, I just left it. Believe me, I am bad at it. [​IMG] Took me all of about 5 minutes (or less) to check thirty some eggs. [​IMG]

Thanks again, to you all.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I think I want to do it again!

And so it begins. Another one addicted. [​IMG]

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Songster

Any LUCK with the rest of the eggs hatching?

-Junkmanme-[​IMG]

9. tigerlilly2588

tigerlilly2588 In the Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    murfreesboro
    Hey Kathyinmo! Congrats on your hatch!!! I was just wondering...what kind of chicken is that in your avatar....I have a girl that looks just her but I don't know what she is...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. kathyinmo

Here are some pictures of the first lot, in which all but 1 egg hatched. I left it in, just in case. The last 10 are currently pipping (one fully hatched).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My avatar.... that is one of my easter eggers. She looks much differently now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: