9 ticks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CrowinKing, Nov 1, 2008.

1. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Just to let you all know that when your outside anytime for long periods to check your dogs and other animals and yourself for ticks!!

That said I was out small game hunting with the dog today for like a hour and a half! And when I came home I seen something crawling on my dogs head and sure enough it was a tick I pulled 7 off of him and bathed him! And then I made my wife check me and I had 2 on my ribs luckily they weren't bit fast yet! The one was starting to but I found them in time I just shaved my head which I do anyways and got a hot shower! I hope I found them all. Anyone have a good tick repeller! Just thought I'd give ya'll a heads up.

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Every time I read one of these tick threads, I keep feel something crawling on me. [​IMG]

3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I know what you mean about the creepy crawlies...we use to have a major tick problem couldnt go out into the yard or let the kids play outside without constantly having to do tick checks. Someone said chickens eat alot of ticks and boy do they ever. Since got got our chickens no one has had any ticks from our yard!!! [​IMG]

As for the removal of them if they get stuck try coating with vaseline or shampoo anything to clog their pores so they cant breath and they will back out.

As for a repellent [​IMG] get more chickens? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    My new property was literally crawling with ticks this spring -- but, oddly enough, neither the dogs nor I have gotten any this fall.

For repellants, I like to use Deep Woods Off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by