9 to 10 week old chicken, leg problems

Jparsons

Chirping
Dec 18, 2018
Hi, I have a 9 to 10 week old chicken with a slipped tendon I think, neither of her hocks are swollen. But her right leg is twisted towards her inside. She hobbles along and sometimes never really moves. She eats and drinks fine. I have seen people fixing little chicks legs, but everytime I try to fix her tendon it I Cant seem to even find where its slipped at. Is it possible to fix her fixed tendon at 9 to 10 weeks old and if so, is it possible to fix it even after 5 to 7 days?
Please help I dont want to lose this chicken but I don't want her suffer either.

I'm sorry about your chick. It may not be slipped tendon, though, which would be obvious with joint swelling and deformity of the hock. If it is indeed perosis, 24 hours is the brief window you have for treatment after the slippage occurs.

It's more likely your chick has Marek's, even if it was vaccinated. You can. however. try vitamin therapy on the chance this is a symptom of vitamin deficiency. Vitamin E 400iu and a sliver of selenium every day plus a B-complex tablet each day. If this is going to be effective, you should see results in less than a week.

Hi, I have a 9 to 10 week old chicken with a slipped tendon I think, neither of her hocks are swollen. But her right leg is twisted towards her inside. She hobbles along and sometimes never really moves. She eats and drinks fine. I have seen people fixing little chicks legs, but everytime I try to fix her tendon it I Cant seem to even find where its slipped at. Is it possible to fix her fixed tendon at 9 to 10 weeks old and if so, is it possible to fix it even after 5 to 7 days?
Please help I dont want to lose this chicken but I don't want her suffer either.

Seems like deformation

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-3_12-16-26.jpeg
    upload_2018-12-3_12-16-26.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 6
I'm sorry about your chick. It may not be slipped tendon, though, which would be obvious with joint swelling and deformity of the hock. If it is indeed perosis, 24 hours is the brief window you have for treatment after the slippage occurs.

It's more likely your chick has Marek's, even if it was vaccinated. You can. however. try vitamin therapy on the chance this is a symptom of vitamin deficiency. Vitamin E 400iu and a sliver of selenium every day plus a B-complex tablet each day. If this is going to be effective, you should see results in less than a week.

Thanks for the response. From what I have researched, she has no symptoms of Marek’s other than a leg problem. It is just her one leg and it is not paralyzed, just causing her pain and limping. I will try vitamins.

Is that caused by an injury or just how she was born?

That's how she born kicked on the wrong part of the egg during hatch make this I read recently on a site

But at early stages you can cure it mildly just use multi-vitamins and calcium D3

Add a wheelchair or sling for support in meantime she will adapt her body changes

That's how she born kicked on the wrong part of the egg during hatch make this I read recently on a site

But at early stages you can cure it mildly just use multi-vitamins and calcium D3

Add a wheelchair or sling for support in meantime she will adapt her body changes
Interesting, I had never noticed it when she was younger in the brooder. A few days after we moved them outside in the coop we noticed she wasn’t moving as much so we assumed it was some sort of injury. I will look into this further. I’m not sure if she is too old to fix that. She also has bent toes, not sure if it could be related.

I will try attaching images of her leg. It is her right leg that she seems to have trouble standing on. She stands with her right leg bent in to be on top of the left leg and has trouble balancing so uses her wings to balance a lot. When I hold her up, her legs are straight though. Her right hock looks the same when I hold her and I have tried rolling the hock to see if the tendon is out of place, but nothing happens. She used to stand up straight when she was younger. She is a RIR around 9 weeks

76F79AA3-3376-4421-94C6-7A880DEA87A5.jpeg BB632F34-872F-4153-9DB4-F03E3DCC9979.jpeg 241B5356-50C6-4782-8817-654786B59367.jpeg 528CE913-7C62-497B-B833-1987A7A00FAB.jpeg

Attachments

• E065C364-28EE-4442-9641-2DF6D3FBD497.jpeg
    E065C364-28EE-4442-9641-2DF6D3FBD497.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom