-9 tonight- heat lamp?

Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
We have a flock of 13, coop is built into a stall in a modern barn. Not airtight but not drafty enough to ruffle feathers. It is -6 now and feels like -30. It will get down to -9 (maybe feeling like -35?). This is a historic low for massachusetts. Our birds haven’t experienced anything close to this. Now for the first time we hung 2 heat lamps. Will our chickens be ok? Do we need to bring them into the house? That would not be great at all, but do not want our flock to die of the cold.

We have a flock of 13, coop is built into a stall in a modern barn. Not airtight but not drafty enough to ruffle feathers. It is -6 now and feels like -30. It will get down to -9 (maybe feeling like -35?). This is a historic low for massachusetts. Our birds haven’t experienced anything close to this. Now for the first time we hung 2 heat lamps. Will our chickens be ok? Do we need to bring them into the house? That would not be great at all, but do not want our flock to die of the cold.
I live in ME, so I totally understand your temperatures. I think your hens will be fine with the heat lamps. just be extremely careful that you don't have a coop fire.

I live in ME, so I totally understand your temperatures. I think your hens will be fine with the heat lamps. just be extremely careful that you don't have a coop fire.
Thank you. We are aware and concerned about coop fire too. We have the lamps clamped high above roost and have chains run through attached to coop frame so they can’t fall. All electric is off floor, clean, good condition and relatively new. This is a first for us and we only intend to keep heat for a day. Wow, what a cold snap.

Thank you. We are aware and concerned about coop fire too. We have the lamps clamped high above roost and have chains run through attached to coop frame so they can’t fall. All electric is off floor, clean, good condition and relatively new. This is a first for us and we only intend to keep heat for a day. Wow, what a cold snap.
good.
Yes! It's supposed to get down to -16 tonight where I live! Brrr!

Hi. Last year I moved from Pepperell, MA to South Carolina. I remember the cold and wind chill. However, it has been a long time since it was that cold. I like your plan. If you have any panel radiant heaters- you could put them on the floor also.

Minus 25 this morning and the roos started crowing at 5, no heat in the coop and no problems. They're looking for a morning snack. A lot has to do with the breed you have.
That’s fantastic! We have cold hearty breeds; barred rocks, New Hampshire’s, Sussex, Jersey giants. And one very large freedom ranger. I honestly don’t even see evidence of frostbite on combs. We got down to -40 with windchill. In the barn it was -10. Glad to know all chooks are safe.

Back
Top Bottom