9 week Coturnix not laying

mrachael

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
We bought 7 Coturnix (all hens) 6 weeks ago. Had them in the brooder in the garage with artificial light for 4 weeks. Moved them outside in a house and pen 2 weeks ago. It's 60 degrees average daytime temps, night time lows around 35 average. April in New Jersey - plenty of daylight, plenty of water - nipple gravity waterer, feeding Blue Seal Gamebird Starter - 22% protein. I have a solar garden spotlight aimed at the house, mainly to keep predators away, but it is providing more hours of light. Only 1 hen is laying. I get only 1 egg per day. Any ideas why? I've read about changes affecting them - we added the nipple waterer last week, and raised the house up onto a second set of blocks the other day. Is that enough change to cause them not to lay? If so, why is the one hen consistently laying?

All birds develop at different times. Don't worry. It could be a month or two until the others start laying.

Yes, they're fine. One thing you could do if you're not doing now, is you could feed them Lay-Mor. It helps them develop a little faster. You can buy it where you buy regular chicken food.

I got coturnix in November (I believe) and just got my FIRST EGG on Easter. They are fed Blue Seal, I think it's 22%, dry catfood every other week, and the occasional cooked meat and some hand clipped grass.

I think my problem is that I only have one female in the entire group - so maybe she was stressed? Haven't sexed mine yet, but just wanted to let you know how long I had to wait. :p

My birds are laying champs, all thru winter. It sounds like your doing everything right, the feed is a LITTLE low on protien, 24%+ is suggested. If you can find purina startena, i use that and its a 30% protein feed, birds love it.

the recent move could also be to blame, usually it only takes at most 2 weeks for birds to adapt to a new place, but i've read of people not getting anything for 2 months after a move.

i'd just stick with what your doing(other then possibly the food, tho i'm sure its fine).

My Jmb Brns layinig in 5 1/2 to 6 weeks .But there lighted 15 hrs a day ..They did it with 2 batches 3 weeks apart .Winter has been really mild though...cva34

I would disagree about low protien being a factor here. I have kept my birds on 17% protein layer crumbles for years and they lay extremely well, all year round, starting at 6 weeks on the dot.

I would assume your solar lights are low-energy lights, which will not provide the right intensity to stimulate laying. Try putting a 40 watt bulb in the cage and put it on a 14hoursday timer and see if they improve.

I have also found when my birds slowed down on laying if I added some oyster shell in the cage they picked back up on the laying. I prefer to give it in a separate container free-choice since my feed already has some in it. That way the hens will only eat what they need and the males don't get too much.

My feed is also about 22% protein and that seems to be OK.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom