9-week-old EE Hen or Roo?

kcaywood

Songster
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Rancho Cordova, CA
Pictured is Hayato, our nine-week-old EE, purchased as a hen. S/he made a few crowing attempts shortly after dawn yesterday. S/he is mostly the dominant bird of the flock of four other hens. Wise ones of BYC, what say you? Hen or roo? Thanks so much!
big_smile.png

67007_hayato1.jpg

67007_hayato3.jpg

67007_september_017.jpg

Roo. Look at his long pointed saddle ( tail feathers) not the upright ones. The one flowing downward. They are pretty pointed. Definate indication of a boy bird.

Lanae

Your Hayato looks a lot like my Sweetie. Here is a picture of her at 9 weeks. I would say that you have a pretty pink face working there. However, those tail feathers are all round. I don't see any saddle feathers to speak of. I'm not sure about that one. However, the hackle feathers are supposed to be pretty pointy for roos and Hayato's are all nice and round. I would bet this is a pullet.

Here's our Sweetie at 9 weeks. Don't you just love the EEs?

57573_img_1241.jpg

Thanks, everybody. S/he woke me with a little crow this morning. Well, does anyone want an EE rooster to join your flock? Roosters are illegal in my city. I consider my chickens pets, and wouldn't eat them. I will let him join a flock of wild chickens before I let him be bought for soup. I'm in Northern CA - he's free to a good home.

It's a shame because I adore roosters! Such majestic yet entertaining creatures.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom