9-wk Easter Egger - pullet or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by One Grey, May 18, 2011.

1. One Grey

One Grey Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    This bird came from a sexed run but I understand that leaves about a 5% chance that it could be a rooster. The tail is quite long, but the comb is small and pale (this is at 9 weeks old) and I'm holding onto the hope of that plus the fact that saddle and hackle feathers don't seem *that* pointy. False hope, right? It's a rooster? (And this is my first post so please bear with me if it takes a couple tries to get the photos up.) Let me know if there are other photo angles that would help. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Looks like a pullet with some nice feathers, but since its only 9 wks old could be a roo. Watch closer for the talons I cant see anything on its leg.....yet

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    colors look rooish, comb looks pullety. whatever it is, it's one of the prettiest EEs I've ever seen! [​IMG]

4. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Look a those saddle feathers. I say roo.

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I agree. Saddle feathers are long for a pullet. I say a roo also. That comb makes it confusing. One sure way to know. If it crows it's a boy if it lays an egg it's a girl. lol Just kidding, I vote it's a cockereal.

6. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It is so strange because from the neck up it looks just like one of my girls...but those saddle feathers are pretty telling...

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I posted earlier with a pullet whose saddle feathers look just like yours. Mine is the same age, and her comb also looks like yours. So I am saying yours is a girl too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Yours is not as easy to tell as some, but I still think she's a pullet. Her comb is too small and light for a 9 week old EE roo. I think she'll be very pretty hen.

Her saddle feathers look a little long in that pic, but they're rounded, not pointed. Here's a pic of a polish that has her wing in the same position as yours chick does, which makes her saddle feathers look more like male saddle feathers - this polish chick grew up to be a hen.

[​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My EE has the same feathers on her back and is the same age. They are not done growing yet and their feathers hang to the side. You have one beautiful pullet!

10. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    That sure is a VERY pretty girl you got there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by