9 yr old hen suddenly lethargic and drooling

pebbltree

In the Brooder
May 7, 2023
southeast US
Up until the past 2 days, my 9 yr old hen has been very active, vocal, laying and well feathered. Yesterday she seemed a little slower and last night I noticed she was laying on the ground instead of on a roost but looked alright apart from that. When I went to go let them out this morning she was still sitting in the exact same place while the 2 pullets I have in there with her were awake and walking around. She had a trail of drool, and her eyes look quite sunken, however her comb is still red. She isn't interested in food and water, and I had to pull her out of the coop, after which she stood with her tail down before laying down again. Just looking for some help on what to do next, thank you

Has she laid any eggs lately? Any shell quality issues?

Just to be safe, give her a calcium tablet if you happen to take a calcium supplement or give one Tums. If she has a blockage in her reproductive tract, this can help expel it.

Check her crop. Often a reproductive obstruction will cause a crop issue.

Has she been free ranging? What sorts of things would she encounter? Weeds, mushrooms, rotting compost?

She has laid in the past week, yes, but i haven't used them, so I'm not sure on shell quality. Her crop seems pretty loose and empty, and she has access to a run with some small trees and a few vines. I also give them weeds from the garden as I've been clearing it out. They were all on chick feed for a bit from when I first got the pullets, but they're on layer feed now. I will see if I can give her a Tums, thank you

Back
Top Bottom