90 assorted and mostly mystery eggs hatch (the lav made it!!!)

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I am on day 6 of the largest hatch I have ever attempted! I currently have somewhere around 90 eggs set in my Hovabator forced air incubator. I am happy to declare that they all fit with a little wiggle room left.

At the end of this year's fair there were 2 coffee cans full of eggs just sitting there, so I asked what was to be done with them and the super stated that she was probably just going to toss them. I ceased the opportunity and now I have all these eggs from assorted breeds and varieties. Most of them probably aren't fertile, but it's worth a shot anyway.

The for certain fertile ones are Lavendar Orpington that have been bred by an imported blue orpington roo. These eggs are from a breeder who said I could have the eggs. There are also White, Black, Buff, and Blue orpington eggs from another breeder as well as black and porcelain dutch, blue Andalusian, and serama eggs that are possibly fertile.

The other breeds I'm not sure about, but this is certainly gonna be fun!

Last edited:
when you collect more eggs than you can consume , you can boiled the eggs and give it back to the chickens.

This will give them extra protein and calcium.

Make sure all eggs are fined chopped.

These eggs sat out in the hot sun for almost a week and are from unknown sources. None of those eggs would be chicky food here.

I generally get about 2 eggs per day from my hens which is just the right amount. My hens do enjoy the occassional scrambled or boiled egg, though.

What fun!!! sounds like you'll be getting little easter gifts in Sept!! can't wait for the pics!!!
pop.gif

oh fun...like you I would have been squeezing and moving and whatever needed done to get em all in....just to see what would hatch....in about 7-10 days you can toss the ones that are not growing....if they are all growing you better start building a nice brooder for em....good luck....also they may have started growing already if they were in hot temps

That never occurred to me. I just got back from the fair and there were plenty of eggs laid in the coops by all the show birds. Anything you hatch out has a good chance of being an exhibition quality purebred.

Best luck to you.

Well, all is going fine so far. The temp and humidity are staying nice and even and there are no fowl smelling odors as of yet.

Most of the poultry here in my county are laying hens kept in hen only coups. Those won't be anything to speak of, however, the orpington and dutch eggs I collected with the permission of my breeder friends will be very good quality and should all be fertile.

The lavender orpington eggs are from hens that were bred by a blue roo that is imported from Australia!

First candling date is Sunday. This will be the 8-10 day candling date. My candler is nice and bright, so I should be able to tell theinfertile eggs then. At least for the most part.

Trust me, I'm excited as well. I have a nice large brooder and I collected almost 40 orpington and dutch eggs alone. Hoping for a good hatch.

I am also hand turning all these eggs since my auto turner only holds 40 eggs. Lot's of hard work that will hopefully give me good results.

Back
Top Bottom