9wk old ducks; okay to mate?

can shoot things from slingshots that don’t equal injury or death. Lol
And capturing wild life is frowned upon and even means fines or jail time in some areas. Lol
I can remember as a child and growing up in the city watching my Dad lay in the outdoor recliner shooting marbles into the butts of pigeons and killing them. They pooped all over the side of the house and it would make him mad. They were not protected at the time and considered a nuisance bird. They would sit on our gutters and poop for the last time whenever he got them. lol

I can remember as a child and growing up in the city watching my Dad lay in the outdoor recliner shooting marbles into the butts of pigeons and killing them. They pooped all over the side of the house and it would make him mad. They were not protected at the time and considered a nuisance bird. They would sit on our gutters and poop for the last time whenever he got them. lol
Times were different... People used to spread toxic chemicals anywhere. Some would pour out a whole bottle of bleach to kill one plant or tree they didn't want "there" instead of just pulling out the spade and digging it up.

Sewage from houses along rivers and lakes would drain directly into waterways.

The world was humanity's toilet.

Imagine how the children yet to be born will see us, their ancestors... We have nostalgia when we think of settlers living off the land, but we don't spend too much time thinking about how they shot natives on site when they were just going about their lives. We "settled" in someone else's homeland, claiming it as ours. Today I can't imagine just shooting someone to enforce a land claim. Wouldn't work if I did, I would go to jail and someone else would get the land.

Now we slowly try to be more responsible...

You are likely more humane towards your feathered babies because of seeing your dad's actions... Future humans will learn from our mistakes and be horrified by our carelessness (assuming we don't destroy humanity before then).

Times were different... People used to spread toxic chemicals anywhere. Some would pour out a whole bottle of bleach to kill one plant or tree they didn't want "there" instead of just pulling out the spade and digging it up.

Sewage from houses along rivers and lakes would drain directly into waterways.

The world was humanity's toilet.

Imagine how the children yet to be born will see us, their ancestors... We have nostalgia when we think of settlers living off the land, but we don't spend too much time thinking about how they shot natives on site when they were just going about their lives. We "settled" in someone else's homeland, claiming it as ours. Today I can't imagine just shooting someone to enforce a land claim. Wouldn't work if I did, I would go to jail and someone else would get the land.

Now we slowly try to be more responsible...

You are likely more humane towards your feathered babies because of seeing your dad's actions... Future humans will learn from our mistakes and be horrified by our carelessness (assuming we don't destroy humanity before then).
Times were different for sure but even today Pigeons, Starlings and Sparrows are considered nuisance birds and can be legally disposed of. I spent months last year saving a newborn sparrow until it could fly and do for itself. I spent months saving a wild newborn House Finch that lived with me for 9 years before passing of old age. You are right, I have always had the heart for animals but Dad was a hunter and looked at life differently than I did.

Back
Top Bottom