_- Houdan Topic -_ POST SOME PICS! TALK ABOUT YOUR HOUDANS!

I don have mine yet, but here is what I have read.

Q1: They were made to be a production fowl, so laying would be medium/good.
Q2: Im guessing they are like Polish...
Q3: They come from France so I'd say they do well in both weathers...
Q4: They are said to be shy and docile
Q5: Im guessing a little bit larger

Good luck finding some!

Quote:
Actually they were made to be a dual-purpose breed. Houdans are supposed to have a well filled body.

To answer the previous questions - Are you planning on getting from a hatchery? If so, they're good layers, about the same size as Polish, decently weather tolerant (except too much rain) and have a wonderful temperament if you plan to raise them up from chickhood with plenty handling.

If you plan to look for more show-quality type Houdans (which are SO hard to find) then they're bigger than Polish, lay decently, and are quite mellow and calm in temperament. I believe they do well in mild and hot climates, not sure of really cold climates.

I am finding the standard mottled Houdans are very hard to find. I ordered some eggs off EBay that looked porous and thin-shelled. None hatched. I'm getting some eggs from Urch in January and ordered some pullets from McMurray just to add a little genetic diversity. If anyone can pick-up and is interested in breeding, I'll give you a free Urch roo (and sell you some of the hatchery pullets, if you want) in March...all vaccinated. It'd be nice if there were more people out there working on this breed!
I can't comment on their heartiness first hand, though I recall reading a post from a guy whose flock took ill and most of his Houdans died and all of his Delawares lived.

No
sad.png
Just mottled and white...

Right now I have a pair of what I was told were Standard Mottled Houdans. I plan to get more from the same gentleman next year. I have fallen for them, I plan to focus on silkies and the Houdans. I will get pictures soon!

does anyone in the US have the european leaf comb variety? i prefer these to the apa 2 prong variety.
also-how well do your lay for you?

here are some pics,we have 3, but i think they are all female. They were hatched 4/19/11 but none show any different combs, although this first one has a different less globular crest.

88419_sany0041_600x800.jpg

88419_sany0053_800x540.jpg

Back
Top Bottom