A Barbezieux Thread.

Pics
I don't believe that Barbezieux are considered "heritage" since they are a fairly recent breed...? I could be wrong. They are most assuredly one of the best tasting birds I've ever eaten!

I don't believe that Barbezieux are considered "heritage" since they are a fairly recent breed...? I could be wrong. They are most assuredly one of the best tasting birds I've ever eaten!

According to Greenfire Farms website, they originated in the Middle Ages in France, and were nearly extinct in by 1997.

Either way, glad to hear you enjoyed it. Were the roosters friendly?

Sadly, every rooster that I had was nasty to people, which is the only reason that I no longer breed these. :( I do still have 2 hens, but was planning to give them to the gal who bought the rest of my breeding stock.

Well, I have some eggs in the nest, hoping to hatch @ week. I'll be sure to give special love & attention to them. They'll be on an organic diet. Will post about their disposition.

I have 8 that are now just a bit over 2 months old. But I have a question about who to keep for breeding: The males all look large, but there seems to be a big variation in the size of the females. Do I keep the biggest, so as to have the biggest birds to eat when I hatch new babies, or do I keep a small hen...in other words, it would make for a more efficient egg layer if the hens are always smallish. But what I don't know is if the size of the hen affects the size of her male babies. Will I still get nice huge males if I use the smaller hens for breeders? I'd love to hear any advice and experiences that others have on this topic!

...to answer another post, I had eggs shipped to me and had an excellent hatch and very vigorous active chicks.

Hi! I ordered some hatching eggs last spring and have one roo left that I'm using to cross with my Bresse hens. But he's not doing his job very well
1f615.png
. He's got ten hens, is that maybe too many?

Hi! I ordered some hatching eggs last spring and have one roo left that I'm using to cross with my Bresse hens. But he's not doing his job very well
1f615.png
. He's got ten hens, is that maybe too many?

That shouldn't be too many, but fertility declines in th winter. Also, sometimes a roo just doesn't like certain hens, or those hens might not be letting him do his job.

Back
Top Bottom