A Bear…

Just because a bear was seen close by doesn't necessarily mean your chickens are in danger.We have hundreds of bears killed during hunting season in our county and I've only seen one close to my house. Unless they smell food they will leave your chickens alone.
x2

A neighbor told us that yesterday in the early afternoon a large black bear was seen crossing the road about a quarter mile or less from our house. We live in a decently wooded area interspersed with fields and a couple ponds (one of which is in the backyard). Do you think this bear would be tempted to pay us a visit?
The chickens and other poultry free range during the day and my coops are definitely not bear proof!
Yea it may pay you a vist, get bear mace and bang pots and pans to scare it away. Call animal control or the cops if you believe it will be a danger to you! Bear mace will scare it away if it gets close to you. Be safe!

i don't deal with black bears with my chickens, how ever i have my honey bees up north where there a tons of black bears,

we use a fence rated for grizzly bears (might as well use one fence stronger then black bear) best for fences is to google what Alaskan/Yukon outfitters use to keep them out of there camps in remote areas.

they will go after chickens no issue, my neighbor lost 3 calves to black bears this summer.

If I put up a fence that has enough voltage to shock the bear, wouldn’t that kill a chicken if it decided to land on one of the wires?

If I put up a fence that has enough voltage to shock the bear, wouldn’t that kill a chicken if it decided to land on one of the wires?
It's the amps that kill.
Besides, you have to complete the circuit! That's why birds usually can sit on high voltage (and amp) powerlines without coming to harm. Those are not insulated, I've been told.

Back
Top Bottom