A Bielefelder Thread !

I need some help. What are yalls thought on pricing for adult biel trios, roosters and hens. I need to thin my flock. Going to get rid of some of the 3 and 2 year olds.
Maybe looking at the rare breed auction site might give you some ideas about pricing. Might be a good place to sell them too.

Yesterday during the fighting I locked the roosters (Ameraucana and Marans) up in separate pens and let them spend the night there.  They weren't happy about it but I thought the break would help.  I thought if I locked them both up it would not be a loss of face to either one.  I let them out this morning and things went fine for awhile and then the Ameraucana started chasing the Marans all over the place.  I thought they would just wear out but the Marans finally had enough and beat the tar out of the Ameraucana, he is just so much bigger.  They are back in the pens.  I think I will place these two roosters. Maybe the young ones will take over managing the flock if given a chance. Maybe I can get it down to one Biel and one CL.

Sorry about all the fighting with your Roos. I personally want a bielefelder as head rooster but that's because I have young kids that get attacked by mature roosters. I just worry if a biele is up to the challenge of protecting the ladies from predators. I have not yet had a mature rooster so I would not know.

Sorry about all the fighting with your Roos. I personally want a bielefelder as head rooster but that's because I have young kids that get attacked by mature roosters. I just worry if a biele is up to the challenge of protecting the ladies from predators. I have not yet had a mature rooster so I would not know.
Yes..... that is my dream too! I think Fat Boy (the Biel) can meet the challenge. I was hanging on to these roosters because honestly they are pretty and I raised them from babies but I just don't need them. I could keep one of these older cockerels but they have already shown they can't or don't want to get along with another rooster.

I really want some Biels. I only have room for a few, so I need to find a breeder in driving distance. I'm in Georgia. Any suggestions?

Yesterday during the fighting I locked the roosters (Ameraucana and Marans) up in separate pens and let them spend the night there. They weren't happy about it but I thought the break would help. I thought if I locked them both up it would not be a loss of face to either one. I let them out this morning and things went fine for awhile and then the Ameraucana started chasing the Marans all over the place. I thought they would just wear out but the Marans finally had enough and beat the tar out of the Ameraucana, he is just so much bigger. They are back in the pens. I think I will place these two roosters. Maybe the young ones will take over managing the flock if given a chance. Maybe I can get it down to one Biel and one CL.

Yikes! Sounds like you've had some stressful chicken days. Some boys are just more pugilistic than others. The younger boys will definitely become more "rooster-like" as they age....and after going through the awkward "mate-with-every-girl-you-can-pin-down" phase. My boy Hansel figured it all out pretty quickly and other than being so much larger than the girls, has actually proven quite gentle with them when mating. His brother, Bosch, took significantly longer to develop any finesse. I felt really, really sorry for him for months as the girls continued to reject him when he couldn't seal the deal quickly. Once he figured it all out though, he became a favorite and has proven very gentle with and protective of his girls.

I need some help. What are yalls thought on pricing for adult biel trios, roosters and hens. I need to thin my flock. Going to get rid of some of the 3 and 2 year olds.

I can't speak specifically about Biel trio pricing, but to give you a general idea I've seen breeder quality Australorp trios and Barred Rock trios selling for $120 around here.

They most DEFINITELY are, so don't worry about that. I've seen my two Biel roosters work together to sound the alarm when there's a nearby predator....one hurries the girls to safety while the other takes up patrol, ready to fight off danger. And they alternate in these roles depending on their position in relation to the threat. Their gentle nature makes them much more pleasant for people to be around, and makes them much more tolerant of multiple roosters/cockerels, but it by no means makes them wimps. I've seen my big boy, Hansel, tear across the yard to hurl himself at a massive crow that had the audacity to land in my yard while trying to crack open a pecan. It was VERY impressive.

They most DEFINITELY are, so don't worry about that. I've seen my two Biel roosters work together to sound the alarm when there's a nearby predator....one hurries the girls to safety while the other takes up patrol, ready to fight off danger. And they alternate in these roles depending on their position in relation to the threat. Their gentle nature makes them much more pleasant for people to be around, and makes them much more tolerant of multiple roosters/cockerels, but it by no means makes them wimps. I've seen my big boy, Hansel, tear across the yard to hurl himself at a massive crow that had the audacity to land in my yard while trying to crack open a pecan. It was VERY impressive.
Thanks DesertChic..... that is what I am hoping!

I really want some Biels. I only have room for a few, so I need to find a breeder in driving distance. I'm in Georgia. Any suggestions?
Depending on where you are in Georgia.... you have some options for south Georgia. Feels Right Farm, Buzzardairline.com or Greenfire Farms. These are North Florida near the Georgia line. Should have mentioned the cities.....

Feels Right - Live Oak Florida area
Buzzard Airline - Cairo Georgia
Greenfire Farms - Midway (Havana) Florida

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom