A Bielefelder Thread !

Hello everyone with a broody Bielefelder hen... I gave up on Schnitzel. Last time she didn't lay an egg for 2.5 months anyway, so I slipped some Ameraucana eggs that my Bonus son brought down from the farm that works at... bonus is so much nicer than step!
The eggs were in the incubator, so she will only have to wait 13 days.

jumpy.gif

Dont the legbars have more barring? I have both, and the Legbars look like they have striping on their wings, the Bielefelders definitely do not. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

I haven't noticed a difference, but technically since the autosexing(barring) gene is the same they really should have the same amount. It could be that with the beiles the colors blend more.

Anyone have SOP link for this breed? Going to a local breeder in arkansas 3 weeks from now to purchace 10 biel chicks. Need to know what to look for. Any tips? Disqualifying traits? Comb point count, feet, ...... Unusual patterns.

Sooooo, the breeder I bought my chicks from won't answer my emails or facebook messages... I even told him at this point I don't care if they're not all bielefelders, I'd just like to know WHAT they are. I'm feeling a little mislead and ignored right now.
This was from an actual supposed breeder on the west coast... I hope I didn't get taken for a ride :(
Any advice?

These are some of the young ones about 8 weeks.

This Biel came with the BCMs. Same group three months later. They grow so fast.

Sooooo, the breeder I bought my chicks from won't answer my emails or facebook messages... I even told him at this point I don't care if they're not all bielefelders, I'd just like to know WHAT they are. I'm feeling a little mislead and ignored right now.
This was from an actual supposed breeder on the west coast... I hope I didn't get taken for a ride
sad.png

Any advice?

Wish I could tell you how to rectify the situation, but unfortunately there are just some really unscrupulous people out there. I've had similar occurrences with two breeders to date, one that sold me Bielefelder eggs that wouldn't hatch and were even infected with pullorum, and one Dorking breeder that sold me eggs that were so poorly shipped that most of them were destroyed in the mail (several were destroyed because she wrapped tape around the eggs without a buffer), and the one egg that hatched was a Dorking/Polish mix.

Perhaps as they get older you can continue to research their appearance, post photos and ask for input from others if this breeder simply won't respond. Try treating it like a scavenger hunt for info and try to enjoy your babies as much as possible. Like me, you may be pleasantly surprised in the long run by what you end up with.

This is the Dorking/Polish mix I wound up with. He's very sweet and very handsome....and very noisy, but I try to look past that.

And this is the son he just gave me, who is even sweeter in temperament than his daddy so far:

Okay, so learned two of my chickens are Cream Legbars lol and not Bielefelders, which is okay!
Do these guys look like Bielefelders?

I forgot to ask...how old are your chicks in these photos? The bottom one could be a Biel pullet, and the one above a Biel cockerel, but the others seem too dark. I'll be interested in seeing how much they change as they grow. I suspect there could be a good chance that they're Biel mixed with something else, which could give you some pretty spectacular chicks. Right now I'm not seeing Cream Legbar in them, but I'm not experienced with the breed so I can't be certain.

Back
Top Bottom