A Bielefelder Thread !

Good luck with the hatch! I came upon a few Bielefelder eggs by chance when buying Marans. Of the 14 I hatched we're keeping 3 Wheaten Marans (pullets I think), and 3 Bielefelders (1 Roo and 2 Pullets), So far, at 3 weeks the Bielefelders are super mellow and the roo will even approach my big girls, 4 Buff Oprppingtons although they don't want anything to do with the "kids". Here's pics of the three at 2 weeks. If any Bielefelder experts are out there please comment on the faded "eyeliner" on the blue background pic, should I be concerned?

I can't wait to see them grown! They are developing vivid colors at 3 weeks.

f

I LOVE Biel chicks! And they really are so very mellow. Even during that skittish 4-weeks of age period when chicks always get jumpy and less social, my Biel chicks remained friendly and affectionate. Enjoy your babies!

I have hens going broody left and right. Yesterday when I did a head count at bedtime I found I was missing a Biel hen.... since everyone says they don't go broody I fear the worst. Not only that but the Biels were scattered in pens they don't normally roost in. It makes me think something has disturbed them. I hope she is alright.
fl.gif
My Biels have a mind of their own and can be quite stubborn.... lets hope she spent the night in the woods.

fl.gif
Any news?

Am I correct that the bielefelder roos can be processed at 12 weeks ? I heard this from the grape vine as I have no idea about this breed.

Speaking of broody...... this is the first experience I have had with broody. These two hens are tag teaming this nest. I am just letting them do their thing, they are cute except for the mean noises when I approach!

Speaking of broody...... this is the first experience I have had with broody. These two hens are tag teaming this nest. I am just letting them do their thing, they are cute except for the mean noises when I approach!

That's so cute..know what you mean about the mean noises from a broody...but from two at once?
lol.png

Be thankful they're only making noises. Two of my broodies attack rather viciously when I get near them, biting HARD and even trying to peck at my eyes. One made me so angry today that I've moved her up on the cull list.

These two were sweet hearts together. BO, and Bantam Cochin. They were also good with their babies together too. :)

Quote: Thanks DesertChic..... just got home from the shop going to do a head count at bed time. They are scattered everywhere at this time of the day, in the woods, out in the high weeds. They look like a herd of cattle out there!
No sign of her...... I have to put on some serious clothing and go thru the woods, filled with sticker vines and bushes, snakes, swamp, etc. The last time I lost one hen I found a pile of feathers across a small creek that feeds the lake. My Biels are very big hens and I have over 60 8 week olds out there. It is odd the predator got her unless it was a big one. Bobcat or coyote during the day I would guess.... but why didn't it come back for seconds?

Back
Top Bottom