A Bielefelder Thread !

Pics
Just a memo... The eggs that have been set so far are developing nicely.
jumpy.gif
What is the expected hatch day, and how many eggs did you set?

I am a new Bielefelder Mom, got hem from GFF's they say they send 13 but only received 10 so along the way some body at the pst office got 3 really expensive babies for free, thank God they leave me with 4 girls at least.
Will be posting some pics alter to see how they develop

I am a new Bielefelder Mom, got hem from GFF's they say they send 13 but only received 10 so along the way some body at the pst office got 3 really expensive babies for free, thank God they leave me with 4 girls at least.
Will be posting some pics alter to see how they develop
That is horrible! You paid good money for those chicks, and someone helps themselves! grrrrrrrr

Good luck with your babies, I hope to get some soon, what a beautiful breed... post pics now!

MB

That sucks jime! Had the tie straps been cut on the shipping box? Personally, I don't trust anything GFF's has to say! That is just me and the dealings I've had with them.

If there were no obvious signs of shipping box being opened, I would have no problem saying they didn't ship the amount of chicks they said they did.

I had a shipment of Paul Smith Ameraucanas come in a couple years back with 5 ducks inside the box. Paul does not raise ducks in any mannner. He and I both contacted USPS but no one could explain how it happened. We figure there were probably a couple boxes with chicks and the folks probably could not resist giving them a look-see and then just did not put the chicks back correctly. Someone out there opened up a box expecting a certain number of Mallard ducklings and were probably just as disappointed as you are but it's hard to say exactly how it happened. I was able to rehome the ducks to a friend. I do have a pond on the property and was so tempted to keep them but the husband is not quite there yet.

I am expecting some Bielefelder hatching eggs in September but have heard that they do eat an exorbitant amount compared to some other breeds can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I like the autosexing nature of them but are concerned how big they are compared to how many eggs they lay and the egg size and food they eat. Wondering if they are cost effective. The prices on them seem to be dropping off pretty fast.
I love my legbars - they are very cost effective when it comes to feed cost vs egg production but size wise... the carcases are more for broth making I would say. Marans...well those dark eggs make up for the negatives when it comes to egg production vs feed cost and they make a decent dressed bird.

Well the box did not have ties or tape only 2 clips,who ever took the babies good luck with them.If GFF did not send the correct amount in in their conscience,I have read of people having bad experience with GFF and their orders, they offer to send me 3 babies more but figure they will not make it so they gave me a 45.00 credit.
Are the chicks suppose to be a dirty yellow in the boys and brown/red with black stripes for girls?

blackbirds13, this are my first babies and can not talk about adults but the babies are indeed eating machines.I was wondering about the legbars I have my easter eggers witch forage everything and lay 6 eggs a week, I was wondering if the legbars will be the same?
The best breed for me so far is the Marraduna Basque the roosters are huge grow fast, really nice foragers, girls lay about 4 eggs in winter and 6 sometimes 7 eggs a week,and they good broody too. I just have one who hatch a muscovy duckling and adopted 14 more, great mom.Both roosters and hens are extremely docile.
I ma hoping the bielefelder will be as friendly and my basques they seem to have the same egg/meat qualities.

I had a shipment of Paul Smith Ameraucanas come in a couple years back with 5 ducks inside the box. Paul does not raise ducks in any mannner. He and I both contacted USPS but no one could explain how it happened. We figure there were probably a couple boxes with chicks and the folks probably could not resist giving them a look-see and then just did not put the chicks back correctly. Someone out there opened up a box expecting a certain number of Mallard ducklings and were probably just as disappointed as you are but it's hard to say exactly how it happened. I was able to rehome the ducks to a friend. I do have a pond on the property and was so tempted to keep them but the husband is not quite there yet.

I am expecting some Bielefelder hatching eggs in September but have heard that they do eat an exorbitant amount compared to some other breeds can anyone tell me if this is true or not? I like the autosexing nature of them but are concerned how big they are compared to how many eggs they lay and the egg size and food they eat. Wondering if they are cost effective. The prices on them seem to be dropping off pretty fast.
I love my legbars - they are very cost effective when it comes to feed cost vs egg production but size wise... the carcases are more for broth making I would say. Marans...well those dark eggs make up for the negatives when it comes to egg production vs feed cost and they make a decent dressed bird.
The Bielefelders are a very large fowl, so they will certainly eat more than many other breeds. I have some that I received in an assortment from GFF and they are already much bigger than the others and always have been since they were chicks. They are supposed to be dual purpose and lay a lot of jumbo sized eggs

Back
Top Bottom