A Bielefelder Thread !

Hi all,

Figured since we're pining for Spring chickies, (I'm looking forward to this season as well) here's a vid of some of our cute Bielefelders playing outside for the first time at 3 days old! Enjoy!

0.jpg

Sincerely,
Your Friends at Überchic Ranch

All three of my Biel hens are now laying consistently, and laying big, torpedo-shaped eggs weighing in excess of 1.9 ounces (53.86 grams).
celebrate.gif
They waited until they were 44 weeks old to begin laying consistently...much longer than all of my other breeds. Have any of you experienced this?

Our six Biele pullets have been laying consistently since mid November now, huge 65 to 73g eggs too :) They started at around 36 weeks laying consistent and we use no artificial light. They each lay about every two days.

Now if we can only get fertile ones! :) Our better cockerel likes the EE girls better !

I can hardly wait!!! We are putting 4 in the bator this Saturday, got them as fillers for a mainly lavender Orpington set. On February 6th, I'm getting 2 cockerels and 3 pullets from Greenfire. Here I thought I had inadvertently planned the perfect hatch, with these guys' hatch day being the 6th.... This morning I remembered Josette telling me they would be 2 weeks old. From what you're all saying, they will be monsters compared to the hatched ones.... All I can picture is Godzilla in downtown Tokyo when I think of the brooder. Looks like they'll go straight to the grow out hutch (it has a homemade heating pad/mama brooder in it) here.
1f602.png
Would you agree?
[/IMG]

Hey all, I have also only had positive experiences with Greenfire and have met with them and toured the place and they are really nice people. If you explained your situation you may have some luck? They have always been good with replacing birds that aren't up to standard.

We got a breeding pair of Swedish Black Hens from them and after 4 months noticed our roo had a white earlobe. Contacted Josette and she checked and they happened to have an extra roo that was breeding age and told me to come pick him up, free of charge, he is beautiful and when I offered to return our roo they said don't bother. Legally they can't take anything back once it leaves the farm as it would be risky to their flocks.

Give them a shot. It definitely isn't the norm to have a bad experience with them.

That being said, my biel hens are laying more these days BUT the eggs are different than I remember. Is it possible for eggs to be lighter and smaller after a molt? I just can't piece it together. Our new girls are laying but the eggs are smaller, l lighter brown, and the shape is different than our previous hens. Not sure if there is an egg standard to meet with biels but I've put off hatching these due to that.

I will have to post pics to explain and get your opions

That being said, my biel hens are laying more these days BUT the eggs are different than I remember. Is it possible for eggs to be lighter and smaller after a molt? I just can't piece it together. Our new girls are laying but the eggs are smaller, l lighter brown, and the shape is different than our previous hens. Not sure if there is an egg standard to meet with biels but I've put off hatching these due to that.

I will have to post pics to explain and get your opions
I am also playing the game of "Who laid which egg?" at our house. My spring Orpington's eggs are much lighter & have a pinkish tint, but my orig. Orp makes much darker eggs. I also have 2 Sussex/Orp mixes that lay the same pinkish brown color. In other words, most of my hens are making little pink eggs. I miss my pretty Biele eggs.

Back
Top Bottom