A Bielefelder Thread !

This discussion on hatch rates is only serving to increase my desire to breed my Biel crosses back to the pure Biels. Maybe hatching rates will improve along with heat tolerance and point of lay.
wink.png

You should post pics on here of your biele/amer cross that looked like a biele cockerel but was gray.(from the production thread)

You should post pics on here of your biele/amer cross that looked like a biele cockerel but was gray.(from the production thread)

It's actually an Australorp mother, and either my Ameraucana-mix or Bielefelder father, I'm not sure which. My other Biel/Aussie crosses resulted in heavily barred birds that resembled Barred Rocks, but this little one has a dash of red at its temples, so I'm really not sure about parentage.

It's actually an Australorp mother, and either my Ameraucana-mix or Bielefelder father, I'm not sure which. My other Biel/Aussie crosses resulted in heavily barred birds that resembled Barred Rocks, but this little one has a dash of red at its temples, so I'm really not sure about parentage.

I think that it has a biele father because it looks just like a biele cockerel only gray!!!!! Will be excited to see him grown up!!!!

I have Biele roo x Black sex link hens. All resulting chicks have head spots, but I think BSL use Barred Rocks, right. So wouldn't all of the offspring have barring regardless of gender?

Would the irreg shaped headspots = males?

Now they are 1 week old & getting wings - mostly black with very faint barring. Shouldn't some be lighter / have more white = the males ???

Has anyone tried this combo or another barred breed with a Biele? What were the results?

Both of these chicks are from a Bielefelder Cock x Golden Sex Links hen cross. I am interested in seeing if the reddish colored chick with the chipmunk stripes and the eye line stripe is a female and then the light one is a male. If it turns out that way then the sex link trait showed up in the male and the auto sexing trait showed up in the female. I bred them to the Golden Sex Links to see what it does for egg production and of course to see what they will look like. I'm sure they will be barred.

Anyone know where i can find weight gain per week on these birds. Thinking about using them for dual purpose but curious about feed conversion and all that good stuff.

I kept data on my own birds up to point, but as far as for the breed as a whole, I'm not sure if the info exists. I can tell you right now that early on you may not be pleased with feed conversion, especially if you use my birds as a benchmark. Yes, they had good growth rates, but they ate A LOT compared to many of my other breeds, and the pullets didn't reach POL until 44 weeks for me. In spite of their friendly, docile personalities there were moments when I looked at my (freeloading) hens and imagined them roasted with rosemary, white white and lemon.
wink.png

If you'd like my data, PM me with an email address and I'll send you the spreadsheet.

Back
Top Bottom