A Bielefelder Thread !

@RedBanks those are really nice chicks! I have 24 eggs in my incubator that I got from Macopin farms. I picked them up, they weren't shipped. The eggs were different shades of brown, so I'm wondering if they are all BCM. One or two were almost Mauve.

I've been warned that the eggs that you receive are NOT the same color as the ones that are photographed - on lots of different sites.

I am wondering what your experience is. Are those your eggs? They are stunning!
bow.gif

@RedBanks those are really nice chicks! I have 24 eggs in my incubator that I got from Macopin farms. I picked them up, they weren't shipped. The eggs were different shades of brown, so I'm wondering if they are all BCM. One or two were almost Mauve.

I've been warned that the eggs that you receive are NOT the same color as the ones that are photographed - on lots of different sites.

I am wondering what your experience is. Are those your eggs? They are stunning!
bow.gif
Those eggs belong to Feels Right Farm. I know Amanda. She lives about an hour from me.

Good luck with your eggs. My Maran hens all lay different shades of brown/copper. I just brought some in I will take a pic.

Those eggs belong to Feels Right Farm. I know Amanda. She lives about an hour from me.

Good luck with your eggs. My Maran hens all lay different shades of brown/copper. I just brought some in I will take a pic.
These are from BBS hens. I have two BC hens, they lay a pretty dark copper egg (not from Feels Right Farm) I just don't have any of theirs in this batch.

At the risk of adding to the massive amount of choices available to you, I would strongly encourage you to consider NN Turkens as an outstanding dual purpose birds. I realize they are an "acquired taste" as many people can't get past their appearance, but they truly are wonderful birds with friendly, quirky and even affectionate personalities while still supplying an ample number of eggs and amount of meat. Their appearance can be far more diverse than other breeds since so many people, myself included, cross-breed these birds, and they are exceptionally hardy and healthy. My best chicken dinners have come from my NNs and my best laying hen supplies me with six 2-ounce eggs per week and has never slowed down, not even during molt...though she looks awful right now because of it. Here's a sampling of some of my birds: And here's how one of my young cockerels processed out:
Unfortunately, i have had someone suggest NNs before and i don't he was all that pleased with that particular option. I think they ate actually kinda cute, but i want him to be agreeable, even though he won't really be the one caring for them. I am trying to make sure he is involved in the selection, hoping that he'll be more amenable to any potential expenses and maybe even their care from time to time. He won't be home as often as i, but i want him to be able to obtain enjoyment from then while he is home. I'll bring them up again when i speak to him later and see how it goes.

My DH pretty much stays out of the chicken decisions,. The only things he requests are that he can stay out of it, he gets to eat unlimited eggs, & that I get the numbers down every fall. Of course, he does brag to everyone who will listen how fantastic our eggs are & even sells them to co-workers. He brags about the flock's insect control, compost, & even "our" gardens & fruit trees. (He's an IT guy & rarely goes outside, so perhaps you understand my laughter in all this.) I once tried to get his opinion on what type of chicken breeds he liked. I was flipping through some poultry magazines & the one that interested him most was the Ayam Cemani.
ep.gif

At their prices, I doubt that's ever gonna happen!

Our black orpington will just have to suffice.

Unfortunately, i have had someone suggest NNs before and i don't he was all that pleased with that particular option. I think they ate actually kinda cute, but i want him to be agreeable, even though he won't really be the one caring for them. I am trying to make sure he is involved in the selection, hoping that he'll be more amenable to any potential expenses and maybe even their care from time to time.
He won't be home as often as i, but i want him to be able to obtain enjoyment from then while he is home.
I'll bring them up again when i speak to him later and see how it goes.

LOL! My husband and son thought I was crazy when I first showed them photos of NNs. "But they're so ugly!" was my son's reaction. My husband just sort of rolled his eyes and said, "This is your project." Now they've both come to appreciate the breed and see their beauty and definitely rave about the meat, but the Bielefelders will always be their favorites. I blame it on my exceptionally friendly and snuggly Biel roosters. After having to fend off more aggressive roosters of other breeds, they simply love being able to walk outside, pick up one of the Biel roosters and never worry about any kind of negative reaction. If you're going for "pets", the Biels must certainly rank at the top of the list, but for meat I still prefer my NNs.

My DH pretty much stays out of the chicken decisions,.  The only things he requests are that he can stay out of it, he gets to eat unlimited eggs, & that I get the numbers down every fall.  Of course, he does brag to everyone who will listen how fantastic our eggs are & even sells them to co-workers.  He brags about the flock's insect control, compost, & even "our" gardens & fruit trees.  (He's an IT guy & rarely goes outside, so perhaps you understand my laughter in all this.)  I once tried to get his opinion on what type of chicken breeds he liked.  I was flipping through some poultry magazines & the one that interested him most was the [COLOR=545454]Ayam Cemani.  [/COLOR]
:eek:
[COLOR=545454]At their prices, I doubt that's ever gonna happen![/COLOR]

The good news is prices are coming down pretty quick on the Ayam Cemani. Check out rare breed auctions.

My DH pretty much stays out of the chicken decisions,.  The only things he requests are that he can stay out of it, he gets to eat unlimited eggs, & that I get the numbers down every fall.  Of course, he does brag to everyone who will listen how fantastic our eggs are & even sells them to co-workers.  He brags about the flock's insect control, compost, & even "our" gardens & fruit trees.  (He's an IT guy & rarely goes outside, so perhaps you understand my laughter in all this.)  I once tried to get his opinion on what type of chicken breeds he liked.  I was flipping through some poultry magazines & the one that interested him most was the [COLOR=545454]Ayam Cemani.  [/COLOR]
:eek:
[COLOR=545454]At their prices, I doubt that's ever gonna happen![/COLOR]

The good news is prices are coming down pretty quick on the Ayam Cemani. Check out rare breed auctions.

I got a lovely little Ayam included in an order of Bantam Phoenixes from Boggy Bottom Bantams. It was an extra $10, but you only need a couple to start with. If the breeder you're buying other things from it's not to bad to have them toss in a rarer egg for fun.

My little Ayam. Deb for now, after my mom who is a fighter like this little chick.

I got a lovely little Ayam included in an order of Bantam Phoenixes from Boggy Bottom Bantams. It was an extra $10, but you only need a couple to start with. If the breeder you're buying other things from it's not to bad to have them toss in a rarer egg for fun.

My little Ayam. Deb for now, after my mom who is a fighter like this little chick.

Bless both Debs - may they both win the battle!

Back
Top Bottom