A Bielefelder Thread !

The ironic thing about having lost Gretel is that her sister, Gidget, seems to have assumed Gretel's "duties". Gretel was the protector of my little Buff Silkie hen, and also was the "talker" in the flock, always making funny noises, greeting me with a particular series of sounds, and literally responding to me when I spoke to her. Gidget never made a sound....until now. Suddenly she's the one to run up and greet me with nearly identical sounds to what Gretel used to say, comes to sit on my lap and hold conversations with me, and has taken over the responsibility of shielding my Silkie from the meaner hens and all amorous boys except my Biel roosters. The only thing she does differently is roost at night instead of laying on the floor with the Silkie and the Frizzled EEs. It's been an interesting dynamic to observe.

Chickens never cease to impress, astound, educate and amuse me.
D.gif
So interesting.

I noticed that when my flock dynamics changed, my 3-yr-old EE hen also changed. For 2 years, she used to lay about 3 eggs per week, but is up to 4-5 eggs per week right now. I was thinking she'd be retiring, but with the egg production increase, it looks like she'll stay. Perhaps she's happier these days.

The ironic thing about having lost Gretel is that her sister, Gidget, seems to have assumed Gretel's "duties". Gretel was the protector of my little Buff Silkie hen, and also was the "talker" in the flock, always making funny noises, greeting me with a particular series of sounds, and literally responding to me when I spoke to her. Gidget never made a sound....until now. Suddenly she's the one to run up and greet me with nearly identical sounds to what Gretel used to say, comes to sit on my lap and hold conversations with me, and has taken over the responsibility of shielding my Silkie from the meaner hens and all amorous boys except my Biel roosters. The only thing she does differently is roost at night instead of laying on the floor with the Silkie and the Frizzled EEs. It's been an interesting dynamic to observe.

Chickens never cease to impress, astound, educate and amuse me.
D.gif
I could not agree more. I have two broody hens sitting on one nest. I am amazed at the way they have managed this nest. When one wants a break they both move the eggs over to the hen staying. I just never would have imagined them working together like that. I know one thing I have learned about chickens. They are a determined lot! I enjoy them so much.

Quote:
My Bielefelder girls (2) have a great deal of empathy - something I never would have expected from chickens. They are not the only ones who show it, but they seem affectionate in ways that don't always involve treats. I think that Gidget is taking care of you as well as Gretel's other charges. Hugs.

Hi Kathyb2, I am in North Florida, about a mile and 1/2 from the Georgia line. My Biels are panting but..... all of my birds are panting. They stay in the shade and are mostly active morning and evening although all the egg laying nonsense (songs and looking for the best nest) continues regardless of the temperature. Where in S GA?
Leesburg, a little north of Albany. They share a pen with Swedish Flower Hens. The SFH are hot too but they are more active. They are a lighter bird, so maybe that is why.

Quote: Yes..... the Biels are just so large. The biggest bird I have is my Biel rooster and he is tireless. Always doing his job. But all of them stay in the woods for the hottest part of the day. You would never know I have a hundred chickens. My yard looks empty most of the day.

Yes..... the Biels are just so large.  The biggest bird I have is my Biel rooster and he is tireless.  Always doing his job.  But all of them stay in the woods for the hottest part of the day.  You would never know I have a hundred chickens.  My yard looks empty most of the day.

Hahaha! Same for me, if you came by during the best part of the day you would not know I even had chickens as they are all in the woods. Only when they crow battle do you know. Luckily it does not get as hot here, but can get into the upper 90's but not so much humidity usually.

Yes..... the Biels are just so large. The biggest bird I have is my Biel rooster and he is tireless. Always doing his job. But all of them stay in the woods for the hottest part of the day. You would never know I have a hundred chickens. My yard looks empty most of the day.
I wish I could free range. Did for years then a fox appeared, then another and another. No foxes where you are?

Our beautiful Biel roo just attacked our 6 year old... She told me he did it yesterday too- I didn't believe her and had her go in the run where he couldn't see me. He's only 4 months old, with no spurs yet. He indeed came around the run, right for her, with his hackle feathers puffed and his chest out. I had always said I'd have a no tolerance policy... He's so gorgeous, but not more than our little girl. I told her I was so sorry I didn't believe her and that Big Handsome would be gone by morning
1f614.png

Quote: Funny you should mention that. Haven't had any problems until a couple of days ago. I think it is a hawk but could be a fox. He got one of my LP BCMs, I hate it. I was getting ready to rehome 4 of them so the hawk got to eat the chicken instead of my neighbor. I saw fox scat last week not far from my coop. I have been busy and lax. I won't quit free ranging. If I ever do, I will only have 15 or so chickens. I need to go get a bigger trap. I lost 4 to a possum but they were in the coop. I had 2x4 welded wire on the coop and he reached in and drug what he could thru the wire. It wasn't pretty. I reinforced the welded wire with hardware cloth anywhere he could reach in and get them. Poor chickens. They have it pretty tough.

Back
Top Bottom