A Bielefelder Thread !

White ear lobes, several white tail feathers, black breast barring and not a well developed breast. Very poor type. All the pullets pictured have white ear lobes too. It is not hard to win a ribbon or take Best of Variety or Breed at a show when you are showing the only birds of that breed. Some of my breeds are so hard to find there is no completion. I had the only Rose Comb Rhode Island White at the Ohio National show, with 8000+ birds there. I did not see any Cream Legbar or Bielefelder there either. Hollow wins when there is no competition.

Last edited:
Hi @Fosmorefarm , I too have had problems with Bielefelders with white earlobes. I made a post earlier in this forum, maybe 6 pages ago asking same question. I got mine on ebay and that breeder mentioned they got theres from Greenfire.

@Eggscoozme , that ebay link is an example of what is not a Bielefelder but is an example of some of the junk I got in my flock. THere are more than one people on ebay selling junk that is not Bielefelders.

I read a pretty good article here showing some pictures of what are white earlobes on what is NOT a Bielefelder. http://uberchicranch.blogspot.com/2017/01/buyer-beware-those-arent-bielefelder.html

This is driving me crazy! I had to wipe out all my birds, including the ones with red earlobes. Some had white some red. But just because red earlobes does not mean they aren't carrying white gene. Only way to tell if any chicks made from your flock have white earlobes. If not, then you should be ok.

Hi @Fosmorefarm , I too have had problems with Bielefelders with white earlobes. I made a post earlier in this forum, maybe 6 pages ago asking same question. I got mine on ebay and that breeder mentioned they got theres from Greenfire.

@Eggscoozme , that ebay link is an example of what is not a Bielefelder but is an example of some of the junk I got in my flock. THere are more than one people on ebay selling junk that is not Bielefelders.

I read a pretty good article here showing some pictures of what are white earlobes on what is NOT a Bielefelder. http://uberchicranch.blogspot.com/2017/01/buyer-beware-those-arent-bielefelder.html

This is driving me crazy! I had to wipe out all my birds, including the ones with red earlobes. Some had white some red. But just because red earlobes does not mean they aren't carrying white gene. Only way to tell if any chicks made from your flock have white earlobes. If not, then you should be ok.
I'm not familiar with genetics. Are you saying you can have red earlobe chickens that carry a white gene? If so, how does a chicken end up with white earlobes? I would have assumed that white is recessive and that you need two recessive traits for that trait to come out...I'm pretty ignorant about genetics, so please enlighten me if you don't mind
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom