A Bielefelder Thread !

This is my other roo he is a bit heaver then roo #1 and my egg size is 55.3 g is that good or bad should I use roo #2 or #1 in my breeding program I checked those u tube videos My birds look as good as most of them and better a lot of them
Thanks
Harry

Okay, photos are not the best way to jugde a chicken, but some of the good things: Straight back and all the hens show, more or less, three different color patches (brown mantle, yellow neck, redish breast) and they have the barring and all don't show too much leg. Some not that good: All birds should have bright yellow feet. On the photos the feet of the hens look somehow grayish, while the roo has yellow feet that is great, but I think I see a comb that has some kind of sidespring and too many points ( is that the right word?) He should have four to six points. And one of the hens seems to have a sidespring too.
Under normal circumstances I would not breed a roo or a hen with sidesprings. Your other roo has, I think, a better comb, but is not as good in his coloring. So take your favorit hen and breed him to her and look what the coloring in the chicks is, but wait for some bigger eggs. They should have 60g. Your flock is young in summer the birds will be more mature and you can see the body type more clearly and the eggs will be bigger.

My hens are 9 months old roo is 11 months old I have another roo also I will post a pic of him too

Thanks a lot
Harry
For 9 months they look pretty good to me! I have a couple of 7-8 month olds that have started to lay and their pullet eggs are small, but hopefully they will get bigger with age. My older girls' eggs also started out small but are now a nice size and a bit darker than they were when they started.

Bine, others

Here are some 7.5 month olds. Comments
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:
Okay, photos are not the best way to jugde a chicken, but some of the good things: Straight back and all the hens show, more or less, three different color patches (brown mantle, yellow neck, redish breast) and they have the barring and all don't show too much leg. Some not that good: All birds should have bright yellow feet. On the photos the feet of the hens look somehow grayish, while the roo has yellow feet that is great, but I think I see a comb that has some kind of sidespring and too many points ( is that the right word?) He should have four to six points. And one of the hens seems to have a sidespring too.
Under normal circumstances I would not breed a roo or a hen with sidesprings. Your other roo has, I think, a better comb, but is not as good in his coloring. So take your favorit hen and breed him to her and look what the coloring in the chicks is, but wait for some bigger eggs. They should have 60g. Your flock is young in summer the birds will be more mature and you can see the body type more clearly and the eggs will be bigger.
Right you are, Bine - legs and feet should be yellow. I missed that.

My girls started laying just a couple of weeks ago and I got a 60+g and 85+g egg. A 9mth old hen with a 55g egg seems small, but did she just start laying?

They started about 6 weeks ago first eggs were smaller been getting bigger each week also getting close to an egg a day from 5 hens and one setting on 10 eggs
thanks
Harry

Someone earlier mentioned eggs from that prize winning bird that are listed on ebay. These Bielefelder are so rare it was probably the only Bielefelder at the show so getting Best of Breed is no big deal when there is no competition. I have shown several breeds of my birds where I am the only person at the show with them, hollow victory. That cockerel pictured in that listing had large white ear lobes, multiple white tail feathers, black breast barring and his body type looked vee shaped like a Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom