A Bielefelder Thread !

I just got 11 Bielefelder eggs on Friday, and figured I'd check out the breed thread. I've got them in a HovaBator with an installed circulated fan air kit and an automatic turner (plus a digital humidity and temperature monitor), along with 16 eggs from my own flocks (12 Iowa Blue, 4 are mixed breed from my second coop). I got them off ebay, and the seller seemed reliable and the birds (2011 and 2013 import lines) seemed quality and healthy. Excited to hatch some of these incredible chicks (and the auto-sexing is definitely a perk; wing sexing has been pretty hit-or-miss in the past)!

I just got 11 Bielefelder eggs on Friday, and figured I'd check out the breed thread. I've got them in a HovaBator with an installed circulated fan air kit and an automatic turner (plus a digital humidity and temperature monitor), along with 16 eggs from my own flocks (12 Iowa Blue, 4 are mixed breed from my second coop). I got them off ebay, and the seller seemed reliable and the birds (2011 and 2013 import lines) seemed quality and healthy. Excited to hatch some of these incredible chicks (and the auto-sexing is definitely a perk; wing sexing has been pretty hit-or-miss in the past)!

Is the seller "Skywalker" ?

I hope she hatches some the other hens are getting in the box with her and laying more I saw 14 eggs in there today she can't even cover all of them possibly the ones in the middle will make it
Thanks Harry

That happened with my silkie. The other chickens kept going in ontop of her and laying more eggs.

I ended up putting her in her own little coop. That worked out excellent.

Last edited:
Someone earlier mentioned eggs from that prize winning bird that are listed on ebay. These Bielefelder are so rare it was probably the only Bielefelder at the show so getting Best of Breed is no big deal when there is no competition. I have shown several breeds of my birds where I am the only person at the show with them, hollow victory. That cockerel pictured in that listing had large white ear lobes, multiple white tail feathers, black breast barring and his body type looked vee shaped like a Leghorn.

I asked about showing a young trio at the Arkansas State Fair last year they told me I could but a couldn't win anything because they are not recognized by the APA. A 47 year old breed? how long does it take,100 years? they are great birds they should be recognized. Just my thoughts'
thanks
Harry

I just finally got myself some eggs as well, not from ebay though. I have been looking for some for a little while now and hope for a good hatch. It has been hard to find people who have birds without the white ears. It seems that is what everybody has now and it's frustrating that people are selling chicks and eggs from these birds.

I just finally got myself some eggs as well, not from ebay though. I have been looking for some for a little while now and hope for a good hatch. It has been hard to find people who have birds without the white ears. It seems that is what everybody has now and it's frustrating that people are selling chicks and eggs from these birds.

The white ear lobes are a lot more common than I would like to see. Judging by what you see on sales groups and facebook at least is 1/3 to 1/2 of them, and that is only from the pictures you can see or them admitting that they have 2013 birds. What a mess Greenfire made of this, they should have done what I did with their bad birds. But if you like white lobes at least you can still buy them from Greenfire.

I bought from numerous sellers off eBay, and none were "fault-less".

I have a BUNCH of chickens from the one who sells 2011 & 2013 imports and have so far 1 white earlobe hen out of a total of 4 chickens, the one roo has WAY too much chestnut coloring and should be putting out his long tail feathers by now (my 2 mth younger one already is putting out the long tail feathers)...

I have over a dozen more younger ones from His stock, and will have to wait and see which ones will be putting out white earlobes, and whatever else looks totally not SOP.

Unfortunately, can't go by leg color as my white earlobe hen has bold yellow legs.

Also, GFF does show a roo with a white tail on their website. Who'd figure?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom