A Bielefelder Thread !

I used to breed this breed and would 100% recommend going to look at the parent stock in person, and even then you may not get what you want. From birds I have seen and ones in person there is a lot of discrepancies in what they originally looked like. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice! I haven't found any even slightly close to me though, unfortunately. They're beautiful birds but I haven't had any luck finding exactly what I want so I'm going to hold off on getting any right now.

They are a truly lovely breed. I've had my Biel rooster and two hens now for three years and I still absolutely love them. I was fortunate in acquiring hatching eggs early on before the white earlobes began showing up, but I don't breed my birds since they're not actually of breeder quality, in my opinion. Mine are pets.....super affectionate to the point of being downright snuggly. My rooster, Bosch, runs across the yard when he sees me sit down in my chair on the back porch, jumps up in my lap, and snuggles in close while I pet him. He usually falls asleep in my arms. How many roosters in the world are like that?

I hope you have good luck finding and breeding quality birds, because this breed really is wonderful.

Thank you for the advice! I haven't found any even slightly close to me though, unfortunately. They're beautiful birds but I haven't had any luck finding exactly what I want so I'm going to hold off on getting any right now.
Where are you located Peepers? I know several breeders that have the 2011 import only and sell and ship eggs. I have some chicks from the early import that are over 6 weeks old that can be shipped now that it has cooled off some. I will also be selling a lot of pullets this fall after I select my breeders for next year. I am located in Michigan and I will be traveling to Georgia and Alabama later this fall so I can be meet along the way.

After two long years trying to get a fertilized egg out of my Bielefelders I'm now convinced there's a fertility problem with my one and only rooster. I've been watching him closely this year and haven't ever seen him even attempting to breed. I'm not having this issue out of any of my other breeds so I reasonably sure it's not a management or diet issue. I've spent countless hours reading through this thread, talked to numerous other breeders and everyone seems to agree this is almost certainly a rooster issue. So now I'm looking for a replacement rooster. I'm about to order some hatching eggs from Omega with the hopes of getting a few roosters (and some girls) out of that hatch - and wait the 6 months or so until he's ready. But if anyone has a mature or up and coming rooster they would be willing to part with please let me know and include price. Preferably in the Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia area. Thanks!

You're probably looking for something a little older, but I have five 10-week-old juvenile males that I hatched this summer. I'll be keeping two of them and was going to take the other three to the auction house in a few months. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to get some decent pics of them. I'm located in southern Tennessee, not far from Huntsville.

Free Rooster...I have 2 and this one is getting picked on. Peoria IL area. 6- 8 months old
Erich.jpg

20170810_071652.jpg
One of my roosters, Buzz - Any comments on him? He is very cylinder-shaped (photo doesn't quite get it), but I don't know how to judge his tail. His sickle feathers have gotten longer, but his tail is shorter than my other biele roos... (his tail is also pictured in the 3rd photo)

20170810_071711.jpg
I also don't know how I feel about the dark red on the back of the forward-most hen. Would anyone consider that a fault?

20170810_071833.jpg

In the old standard I found for bielefelders, white (barring) was not faulted, but now is that something I should invest in breeding out? Any advice helps!

View attachment 1145241 One of my roosters, Buzz - Any comments on him? He is very cylinder-shaped (photo doesn't quite get it), but I don't know how to judge his tail. His sickle feathers have gotten longer, but his tail is shorter than my other biele roos... (his tail is also pictured in the 3rd photo)

View attachment 1145242 I also don't know how I feel about the dark red on the back of the forward-most hen. Would anyone consider that a fault?

View attachment 1145243
In the old standard I found for bielefelders, white (barring) was not faulted, but now is that something I should invest in breeding out? Any advice helps!

It took my roosters a while to get their tail feathers...the one I'm giving away only had 2 tail feathers for awhile before the rest of his came in.

Back
Top Bottom