A Bit Confused, Chickens are allowed or chickens are not allowed.

SunshineSteedFarm

Seramatching Equestrian
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Georgia
This is the thing I found on chickens in my county's ordinances..

30-33. Exemptions.
This chapter shall apply to any land-disturbing activity undertaken by any person on any land except for the following:

(e) Agricultural operations as defined in O.C.G.A. § 1-3-3, "Definitions", to include raising, harvesting or storing of products of the field or orchard; feeding, breeding or managing livestock or poultry; producing or storing feed for use in the production of livestock, including but not limited to cattle, calves, swine, hogs, goats, sheep, and rabbits or for use in the production of poultry, including but not limited to chicken, hens and turkeys; producing plants, trees, fowl, or animals; the production of aqua culture, horticultural, dairy, livestock, poultry, eggs and apiarian products; farms buildings and farm ponds;

Does this mean that the chickens are allowed? Or do they mean they are not allowed?

Thanks!

If you're in doubt, you can make an anonymous phone call to your town hall. Ask if it's legal to own chickens....ask about roosters while you're at it, just in case.
wink.png

Can't tell from the definitions section. That's just telling you that raising chickens is defined in the ordinances as an "agricultural operation." What's your city? It may talk about it more specifically elsewhere in the ordinances. You could do a word search (control + F) for "chicken" or "fowl" to see where else it discusses them.

When I looked up chicken and fowl this is what I found on it.. :]

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person owning or having control of any chickens, ducks, horses, cows, goats, pigs or any other type of animal, livestock or other fowl within the county to permit them to run at large or be a menace or nuisance to such person's neighbors or the public in general.
Well I am pretty sure I wouldn't let my chickens run around wherever.
tongue.png
And we dont really have neighbors. The lot on the right is abandoned, the lot on the left is empty with a creek and woods, the one in front of us has owners that are always on vacation(we take care of their pets), woods are behind us, the neighbors diagonal from us on the right are never there(college students), and the other diagonal lot from us is abandoned. So pretty much, we dont really have what you would maybe call "neighbors".
gig.gif

(e) Agricultural operations as defined in O.C.G.A. § 1-3-3, "Definitions", to include raising, harvesting or storing of products of the field or orchard; feeding, breeding or managing livestock or poultry; producing or storing feed for use in the production of livestock, including but not limited to cattle, calves, swine, hogs, goats, sheep, and rabbits or for use in the production of poultry, including but not limited to chicken, hens and turkeys; producing plants, trees, fowl, or animals; the production of aqua culture, horticultural, dairy, livestock, poultry, eggs and apiarian products; farms buildings and farm ponds;

Sec. 10-62. Animal or fowl enclosures.
Any pastures or enclosures shall at all times be kept and maintained in a proper, clean and sanitary condition, consistent with the needs of the animal involved.

I am really hoping that we would be allowed to have chickens. I dont like seeing my chickens only 1-2 times a month an hour and a half away.
sad.png

Cool! Well it sounds like you're in the clear then so long as you don't let the chickens loose to roam around the neighborhood, and you sound like a far more responsible person than that. Happy chicken farming!

Fantastic! This is great news. I cant wait to start have a routine in the nighttime and morning time for taking care of my chickens. It makes the day better for me!
big_smile.png

Thank you for all of the help!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom