A bit of mold found in bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rosemarysugar, Mar 14, 2018.

1. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    I've had to put off cleaning the coop for a bit due to dangerously high winds (coop even blew over) and cold temps/snow. This morning upon inspection I found a small amount of mold in the bedding, probably where snow had blown in and melted. I immediately opened everything up and plan on cleaning it all out this afternoon. I don't see any mold on the structure itself. I know that I am to blame and it's not normal for me to wait this long to clean it. I realize that I screwed up and already feel terrible. All that being said, will it be sufficient for me to do a very thorough bedding clean up, replace, and air out or do I need to do some type of crazy, intense cleaning?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I occasionally get mold, can't help it especially during wet spring. I just replace the bedding. I use regular barn lime as a drying agent before putting down fresh bedding. Works well to dry things out. Replace as necessary.

rosemarysugar and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    Thanks!:goodpost:

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: