Sweating Concrete in large coop!

Probably too much work, but how about putting a false floor in?

Giant size fan?
Definitely something to look into! We have a big fan and excellent ventilation but try not to turn it on too much. It’s still 30s here in ND so I don’t want to freeze them out 🤯 I’m willing to try anything. Right now I’m just lightly bedding it with shavings so I don’t take the chance of ruining anymore and covering up problems.

Maybe not helpful. But have you considered a dehumidifier?
Not sure why concrete sweats.
If it pulling moisture from the air, is a problem with ventalation?
Fans?
Hope someone more knowledgable than me helps out!
Good Luck!
I’m definitely considering a dehumidifier!

Only thing I can think is to use poop boards with zeolite under roosts, cleaning the poops out everyday will reduce odors.
Maybe increasing ventilation in the building would help.
Do your birds have an outside run or are they in the building 24/7?

Because the concrete it cold and the air is warmer and humid......the dampness on the concrete is condensation. A dehumidifier might help, but with good ventilation in the building it might be like trying to dehumidify the 'whole world'.
I’m going to look into a dehumidifier for sure! Our roost is big and was thinking about using a tarp like contraption to catch any poo. I was hoping someone had some magical shavings that would take care of this forever 😂 I posted a pic with the big roost. That’s where some of the damp is. I can put a dehumidifier where the other bigger patch is. I think a catcher under it would work out.

Attachments

• IMG_3978.jpeg
    IMG_3978.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Definitely something to look into! We have a big fan and excellent ventilation but try not to turn it on too much. It’s still 30s here in ND so I don’t want to freeze them out 🤯 I’m willing to try anything. Right now I’m just lightly bedding it with shavings so I don’t take the chance of ruining anymore and covering up problems.
What is this building? Garage?
When was it built?
Is this just temporary or permanent housing for birds?

I think your cheapest solution would be to lay a heavy mill plastic down, then lay sheeting (osb) down, if this is temporary. Pitch the osb when you move the birds out.
Don't seal it... It's too late for that. It will need to be cleaned/bleached before sealing.

I asked when it was built because fresh concrete has a natural ammonia smell, (open a new bag of concrete and smell it). If the foundation was poured in colder months the concrete companies add more urea/antifreeze mixture to the pour to help aid curing. Yes, this ammonia smell might not be the concrete itself but adding more ammonia from chickens soaking into the concrete doesn't help.

Disclaimer...This is just added fyi, and I'm not claiming to be a concrete expert. Just things I've learned in many years of Construction.

I’m going to look into a dehumidifier for sure! Our roost is big and was thinking about using a tarp like contraption to catch any poo. I was hoping someone had some magical shavings that would take care of this forever 😂 I posted a pic with the big roost. That’s where some of the damp is. I can put a dehumidifier where the other bigger patch is. I think a catcher under it would work out.
Nice setup, btw. Chooks look happy there... 🙂

Back
Top Bottom