A blessing turns into a nightmare...beware......

So sad to read about your experience. Unfortunately Marek's is extremely common and widespread and even the NPIP certification does not cover it. There is therefore always a risk in getting any poultry other than day old chicks from a hatchery, that you could bring it into your flock. Hopefully your quarantine procedure has negated the majority of the risk to your original flock.
The chances are certainly high that it is Marek's you are dealing with from your description of symptoms and age and circumstances of birds. Obviously you would need a necropsy and additional PCR testing to confirm it and I'm not sure if that is financially viable for you given that you have no direct investment in these birds.

I've had Marek in my flock for the past 3.5 years. I provide supportive care for sick birds so it is hard for me to condemn your 3 remaining birds to death, especially as one is showing no symptoms but obviously keeping them increases the risk to your flock.... Do you breed from your existing flock? Youngsters are most at risk from Marek's, so if you don't breed, then I personally would consider keeping them or assuming they show no sign of illness, perhaps passing them on to a friend or relative who has no chickens, but with full disclosure of course.
Those are my thoughts. I've had several birds that recovered from outbreaks of Marek's so the two remaining girls exhibiting partial paralysis might still come good. I've supported at least a couple for several months and they eventually returned to the flock. Sunshine and grass have been two of the most notable factors in turning things around but some just go downhill regardless of what you do. Giving them a good quality poultry supplement to support their immune system and perhaps a probiotic or fermented feed to support their digestive system can help. Try not to stress them. Happy chucks are less likely to have an outbreak and better placed to fight it if they do. Outbreaks are usually triggered by stress and that can be physiological like the surge of hormones at point of lay or drop of them at moult or with broodiness or a management change like moving to a new home or being confined when they are used to free range or the unwanted attentions of a rampant young cockerel. It may be something else with these birds .... perhaps being confined to the garage has eventually taken it's toll. Of course these things would not normally be a problem but in birds that have been infected with the Marek's virus, it is just a question of time before something triggers it. A few months ago, I had a 4.5 year old had her first outbreak of it. She wobbled about for a few weeks and was getting bullied and I toyed with culling her but I decided to take a risk and let her range in the garden during the day and put her back in the coop at night. Having space to move around without being harassed by the others hens in the pen and having access to a bit of grass and the occasional day of sunshine and to a certain extent, a boost to her confidence of being special and allowed to range the garden, her mobility gradually improved and after 4-6 weeks of roaming the garden and enjoying her privileged lifestyle she went back into the run with the others (I needed to reclaim the garden) and has improved her pecking order position and started laying again and you would not know she had been sick. Once you have seen Marek's in a half a dozen or more birds, you get to recognise it's various guises and much more watchful for the slightest sign of the disease.

I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do with these birds and that your original flock stays healthy.

So sad to read about your experience. Unfortunately Marek's is extremely common and widespread and even the NPIP certification does not cover it. There is therefore always a risk in getting any poultry other than day old chicks from a hatchery, that you could bring it into your flock. Hopefully your quarantine procedure has negated the majority of the risk to your original flock.
The chances are certainly high that it is Marek's you are dealing with from your description of symptoms and age and circumstances of birds. Obviously you would need a necropsy and additional PCR testing to confirm it and I'm not sure if that is financially viable for you given that you have no direct investment in these birds.

I've had Marek in my flock for the past 3.5 years. I provide supportive care for sick birds so it is hard for me to condemn your 3 remaining birds to death, especially as one is showing no symptoms but obviously keeping them increases the risk to your flock.... Do you breed from your existing flock? Youngsters are most at risk from Marek's, so if you don't breed, then I personally would consider keeping them or assuming they show no sign of illness, perhaps passing them on to a friend or relative who has no chickens, but with full disclosure of course.
Those are my thoughts. I've had several birds that recovered from outbreaks of Marek's so the two remaining girls exhibiting partial paralysis might still come good. I've supported at least a couple for several months and they eventually returned to the flock. Sunshine and grass have been two of the most notable factors in turning things around but some just go downhill regardless of what you do. Giving them a good quality poultry supplement to support their immune system and perhaps a probiotic or fermented feed to support their digestive system can help. Try not to stress them. Happy chucks are less likely to have an outbreak and better placed to fight it if they do. Outbreaks are usually triggered by stress and that can be physiological like the surge of hormones at point of lay or drop of them at moult or with broodiness or a management change like moving to a new home or being confined when they are used to free range or the unwanted attentions of a rampant young cockerel. It may be something else with these birds .... perhaps being confined to the garage has eventually taken it's toll. Of course these things would not normally be a problem but in birds that have been infected with the Marek's virus, it is just a question of time before something triggers it. A few months ago, I had a 4.5 year old had her first outbreak of it. She wobbled about for a few weeks and was getting bullied and I toyed with culling her but I decided to take a risk and let her range in the garden during the day and put her back in the coop at night. Having space to move around without being harassed by the others hens in the pen and having access to a bit of grass and the occasional day of sunshine and to a certain extent, a boost to her confidence of being special and allowed to range the garden, her mobility gradually improved and after 4-6 weeks of roaming the garden and enjoying her privileged lifestyle she went back into the run with the others (I needed to reclaim the garden) and has improved her pecking order position and started laying again and you would not know she had been sick. Once you have seen Marek's in a half a dozen or more birds, you get to recognise it's various guises and much more watchful for the slightest sign of the disease.

I wish you luck, whatever you decide to do with these birds and that your original flock stays healthy.
Thanks. Yes...I had no intention of keeping them in the garage so long,but--the weather has been nuts. They at least do have a window to sunbath and such. I have let my flock raise a pair of chicks last summer and they are raising a pair now--that one of my hens hatched. These guys are pets. My fear is that if I were to keep the non sick bird--my flock will get exposed and killed off.....they may anyway now. I won't be able to breathe easy until after September due to the long incubation period. And so it goes.... :(

I really hope you will get a chicken necropsied, if you lose another, just to get a test and diagnosis for Mareks. It sounds like that is what it is, but getting a real diagnosis would be helpful. I live in Ohio, and I do not know how good the state vet is to deal with or how helpful they are. Many states have really helpful staff that want to educate, and give very detailed necropsy results. Please share any that you get. Here is a link with contact info: http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom