A Blind Chicken

LCTB

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Tennessee
Hello! Looking for some advice and insight into caring for a blind chicken...

We had a raccoon attack on our flock 4 weeks ago. It got into an unsecure outside pen. We normal close the outside door to the coup before its dark but on this day I went out there about 11pm to a horrific scene. Lost most of out flock and had to put 2 down due to injuries that night.:hit
2 other chickens had injuries to their heads and eyes. 1 is doing well. Has sight in one of her eyes and is eating and drinking.

And then we have Goldie. She is about 4 years old. We took her to the vet and they were optimistic that her sight would return in her right eye. It has not and we must assume she is completely blind. We have been force feeding and watering everyday since the incident. She has not been able to eat or drink on her own as far as we know. We have attempted to put water and food up to her beak with no luck. Even when put outside she will not scratch or anything. She does enjoy being in the sun though! My next step this week is to put her outside in a very secure pen with food (in a vessel and as also on the ground), and water. She will be with the other chicken so she can hear her eat and drink.

Obviously we do not want to let her go but if she doesn't start to eat or drink on her own we will have no choice. Does anyone have advice or experience with a blind chicken?

Thanks,
LCTB

Hello! Looking for some advice and insight into caring for a blind chicken...

We had a raccoon attack on our flock 4 weeks ago. It got into an unsecure outside pen. We normal close the outside door to the coup before its dark but on this day I went out there about 11pm to a horrific scene. Lost most of out flock and had to put 2 down due to injuries that night.:hit
2 other chickens had injuries to their heads and eyes. 1 is doing well. Has sight in one of her eyes and is eating and drinking.

And then we have Goldie. She is about 4 years old. We took her to the vet and they were optimistic that her sight would return in her right eye. It has not and we must assume she is completely blind. We have been force feeding and watering everyday since the incident. She has not been able to eat or drink on her own as far as we know. We have attempted to put water and food up to her beak with no luck. Even when put outside she will not scratch or anything. She does enjoy being in the sun though! My next step this week is to put her outside in a very secure pen with food (in a vessel and as also on the ground), and water. She will be with the other chicken so she can hear her eat and drink.

Obviously we do not want to let her go but if she doesn't start to eat or drink on her own we will have no choice. Does anyone have advice or experience with a blind chicken?

Thanks,
LCTB

You may not be able to save her but I was given a chicken with an infection in the left eye. She also came with an old red sex-link who was her seeing eye assistant. First I used left over cataract med antibiotic twice a day. After about 2 weeks the infection cleared. I would put her in my lap (buff orpington) and feed her bread as a reward. She scarfed it up so eagerly, I named her Miss Piggy. Sadly her seeing eye chicken died of either bumble foot/old age before I had a chance to attend to her. Miss Piggy cried for 2 days over the loss of her friend. Eventually, she adjusted to this. The only problem is chickens would sneak up on her blind side but that has pretty much stopped.
Using an eye dropper, you can wick fluids in the side of her beak. I would try Gatorade at this point. Try bread or her favorite treat. Soupy grits cooled may help. She is probably in shock from the event. Very sorry for the loss of your friends. I have asked God for a hedge of protection around my home. My 3 dogs are good chicken protectors as well. In 6 years I have only had one animal taken by any predator (a guinea). I find dead predators run over that apparently were planning a run at the girls. Ground hogs did eat a lot of pumkins but they don't attack chickens.

Back
Top Bottom