A Bold New Adventure

DivineComedy

Hatching
Oct 18, 2015
Good friend hatched some chicks for me... as in chickens. Anyway, when I picked up said chickens he snuck a drake hatchling into the comfy transporter I had. No problem. I like ducks.

Anyway, could use some (hopefully) quick advice. I am confident I could get all this info by perusing the forums and learning center but won't have such time for the next few days (prepping for winter is a busy time) so I hope I'm not imposing too much.

Drake is currently hanging out with my chickens and particularly close to a blind lemon cuckoo Orpington rooster I have.

With all that said:

1) I can get another duck for company, I realize that a hen offers several perks that another drake does not but otherwise does it matter? Or is my duck seemingly happy with the chickens?

2) I have a lovely little pond, do I want to create a coop for the duck(s) there? Anything particular in regards to how their housing should be built similarly or differently from the chickens?

3) or can they be happily and comfortably housed with the chickens?

4) Should their access to the water be limited? Due to season? Or otherwise?

5) Now that you see that I am completely duck dumb (but enthusiastic) anything else that you feel I need to immediately address to avoid tragedy would be appreciated.

Oh, do the cool kids name their ducks?

Julie

1) I would try to get a duck hen. Drakes mating chicken hens has the potential for problems, and horny drakes will try to mate anything.

2) Building them their own 'home' would probably be a great idea.

3) They can be happily housed with the chickens, but if the drake decides to spread his lovin' around -----------------

4) Their access to water need not be limited until the pond is frozen, and then only for their safety from predators.

5) The 'cool kids' absolutely do name their ducks.

Thank you for the energetic and lovely reply.

A hen it is with a cozy cottage lakeside (really a pond but who says pond side in real estate ads?)

So an elevated floor, any particular bedding preference? Will be addressing these issues this weekend. God willing.

Back
Top Bottom