A bone is sticking out of her!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olp_63, Jul 15, 2008.

1. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I went out to put the ducks in their pool this morning and when I picked up Denice, my Pekin hen, I noticed something didn't feel right...
    I took a closer look at her lower chest/belly and was horrified! It appears that a bone is protruding from her skin, like there's a hole in her chest! I really don't know what to do! If anyone can help I would REALLY appreciate it...Here are some pics......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Its not a very good pic kinda fuzzy, but Im sorry I have no idea what to do or what happened.

3. olp_63

I know, but it's the best I have right now

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Is there any bleeding?!

5. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

How does she act and is this right at the top of her chest or is this a lot lower?

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It's probably just a tear in the skin over the breast bone. Chickens and ducks breastbone is right under the skin.

I would clean it up with warm water and if there is a hole in it, squirt some water that has betadine mixed in (tea colored) until it is clean. Then put some neosporine ointment all over it.

It would be best if a vet could put a few sutures in it to cover the bone...if that's possible. Otherwise it will have to "granulate in". One thing that I like a lot is Granulex V. It is a spray that helps to keep wounds clean and moist and they heal much faster.

7. olp_63

Quote:I cleaned it with warm water, but where could I purchase that Granulex???

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. olp_63

Quote:She's acting perfectly normal, that's what makes me think it's been there a while. I can't believe I never noticed it before....

9. olp_63

Quote:No bleeding at all

10. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Oh wow! :eek: I know that is scary. I am new and so have very little advice to give so far, but I bet lots of others will jump in and help.
    ~Rebecca

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by