A boy for my girls

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
Currently I have 5 girls, 3 I ordered as girls, the other 2 I got lucky out of the straight run bin at TSC. I have 2 Pekins, 1 Cayuga, 1 Buff, and 1 Magpie. What size/breed should I get for my boy? I don't want him to big since the Magpie is fairly small, but my 2 Pekins are huge! If I got a smaller boy would he have a hard time with the Pekins? I really don't care if they breed pure, I mostly have them for my enjoyment, and it would be nice to hatch out some ducklings if I wanted too
big_smile.png

I had a related question and posted it on the Metzer facebook page. Mine was mostly a concern on which way I should go to get the most out of what I wanted from my flock. From what I gather you could go with a fancy fellow for the fun of it, or choose based on what you want your offspring to be. As long as you're not thinking of a call drake to cover your pekins you should be alright!

I have an Indian Runner drake, 3 Pekin girls and a Campbell (I think). I now have several babies from him, looks like Pekin X's and they are really pretty. Beware that drakes want to breed the girls constantly and I did have problems with my drake when he drowned one of the smaller X's in the pond trying to breed her. Think carefully if you want a drake. I do love mine but there can be "isssues" having a drake around. PS - One of my crosses just came out from under the barn floor with 12 ducklings! He is doing his job well. I now have too many ducks!
smile.png

I have trout indian runners, which are mallard colored, but stand like a runner. I have two females, kind of wish I had a male, Because I guess they are very hard to find.
But if you can find them, they sound like they would be perfect for you.

If you want eggs, I suggest a Runner drake, or a Khaki Campbell drake. Their offspring might get the egg laying gene.

If you want pretty, go with a Magpie or an Ancona. Then your ducklings have a chance of being spotted.

Back
Top Bottom