1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Brit in Bulgaria

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickerado, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Chickerado

Chickerado Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Bulgaria
    Hi guys.

I've been googling lots of things chicken related for the past couple of weeks and this forum comes up trumps time after time so I thought it was about time to join up and say hello.

As the title says. I'm a Brit now living in beautiful rural Bulgaria after tiring of the rat race and looking for a more natural and sustainable way of life. Which is where the chickens come in. Initially I wasn't planning on getting chickens until next year but a friend of mine wanted to re home his 5 girls so he can do some traveling, and another acquaintance recently sadly lost his wife and also wanted to re home his five little ladies. So from a conversation in bar (isn't that always the way?) I became a chicken daddy of 10 pretty much overnight. So I hastily converted one of my outbuildings into a coop and I'm kind of learning as I go.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll have loads of questions which I will try and post on the appropriate threads. So for now, a big hello to all.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome from Yorkshire!

Glad you could join us here! My chicken adventures started out in a bar too so it certainly does seem to be the case ;) What breeds have started out with? Please do check out the learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center Lots of fab articles there that are most helpful. Please do pop by the UK thread and say hello if you get the chance ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/0_30

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Chickerado, and :welcome. Great to have you with us. Wow! I need to hang out in some of the bars that you do. Go in for a pint, come out with chickens! :D
    Enjoy your time on BYC and ask any questions you have along the way! A great place for some topical research is the Learning Center here https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best of luck in Bulgaria and enjoy your flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Chickerado

Chickerado Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Bulgaria
    Hi YC.

Another one from God's own county here too. ;-)

I have no idea what breed the chickens are. That is probably going to be one of my first questions I've looked at a lot of pictures but they kind of look like all of them. :-D

5. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    You guys are from Isreal?

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:woot Your from Yorkshire too! That explains the bar ;) There are a few of us from Yorkshire here, a few on the UK thread and @CTKen is also from gods own county although he's living over in Kenya now. I'm sure he will be along soon :D

Our what breed gender section would be a great place for you to post some pics. I'm sure members there will be able to help you ID them. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

1 person likes this.
  7. Chickerado

Chickerado Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Bulgaria
    Nay lad. That's only God's holiday home.

1 person likes this.
  8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

Yorkshire UK, over here in Britain Yorkshire is called "Gods own county" :D

1 person likes this.
  9. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Shires are cool

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. Congrats on getting your flock, but sorry about your friend's loss.

Gee sounds like I should have hung out in bars....and would have had my own flock years ago [​IMG]
    Last time I even went to a bar was in the 80's [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by