A Broody Journal! woo hoo!! updates!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneckgirl, Jun 14, 2009.

1. redneckgirl

redneckgirl In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Ever since yesterday my hen has been setting behind my dog igloo. I'm pretty sure she is a black sex link so I didn't think this would happen. At first I didn't think she was serious, but I went to check on her and shes in the same place she was yesterday morning.. last night I gave her an egg she had laid a few days ago from the fridge. This morning I lifted her up and I'm pretty sure on the fact that I only saw one egg... she had stripped a lot of feathers off her underside, and it was really warm. So I'm starting to think she really is serious, but ONE egg! will she lay more ? or do I have to give her more? I do have two other hens that will lay an egg today I can give her those, I also have A LOT of fertile eggs in the fridge, but they have been there for a while and I don't want to risk giving her some that may rot, so what would be the best?

thanks! haha sorry for basicly writing an essay, the chance of having more chicks gets me excited! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

When they settle down and are serious, they quit laying entirely. I just discovered a broody today myself. You'll need to give her more if you want more.

3. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    Quote:She nows has a total of two eggs! I just gave her a egg that my production red just laid.

So now I'm just hoping that my other production red lays her egg....

[​IMG]

Update....

should I just go ahead and add the eggs that have been in my fridge for a good two weeks, and chance it?

my other hen still hasn't laid her egg...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    anyone!!! ?

5. KiereeAngel86

KiereeAngel86 Chirping

Mar 14, 2009
    my own piece of heaven
    I dont think eggs from the fridge will hatch. If I remember correctly, you have to keep them at a certain temp.

6. Sissy

Sissy Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    woo hoo I have one too,
    A broody sitting in the corner of the coop a beautiful Red cochin
    she began with 1 egg which I took away but now after 12 maybe 15 days she has 7 eggs and Iam letting her do her thing.
    but eggs from the frig.. humm not sure they will hatch as to the temp. change. good luck,

7. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    Quote:yeah I not sure if they will or will not.... but I added a few, I marked them though so that I"ll know =]

I'm soooo excited. =]

8. redneckgirl

Aug 8, 2007
    Okay I tink I'm going to turn this into a journal of my broody and i'll keep updating here. =]

Okay so i just candled all seven of her eggs, they are all developing. =]

[​IMG] yay fridge eggs do work!

9. Sissy

Sissy Songster

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Keep us posted as to
    when you get your hatchlings
    good luck, My hen is still setting on 7 eggs ,
    and day 21 will be the end of this week.

10. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yes, people have hatched refrigerated eggs. The fresher the better, of course. Ideal is collect them for a week or so at room temp. Sounds like you got away with it.

My broody is due Friday. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: