A bunch of hens ate an egg of a hen with Fowlpox!!!

kuki mom

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I currently have two hens in the isolation room for possible Fowlpox one is showing symptoms exactly like Fowlpox and the other one who is with her just has a huge bump on her beak now it’s a black scab ready to fall off. The one that has classic symptoms now only has one scab left to fall. The one with bump on beak laid an egg yesterday so I picked it up rinsed with water and put it in my kitchen counter in a “safe” place I thought, because I was going to eat it, but while I went out for a bit the cat took it out and knocked it to the floor and my house hens ate it 😭😭😭😭😭 one of them got it all over on her face and her feet i care so much about my house chickens and I have been extremely careful to quarantine the Fowlpox so far none other got it. Do you think for sure now my house chickens will get Fowlpox?

No. Fowl pox is not passed through eggs. Fowl pox scabs are very infective, put iodine on them and they will shrink and eventually disappear. Avoid the eyes when using iodine.
Thank you that makes me feel way better it’s just that I read somewhere the virus is passed down from hen to chick through egg but maybe only in the dna not the egg contents? the girls with Fowlpox are quarantined in another house. How long to wait after the scabs fall until putting them back with the outdoor flock?

Fowl pox is spread mainly by infected mosquitos. It is not passed through eggs, not passed through DNA, not passed through mating etc.... Depending on the severity of the infection, it can last anywhere from 4-6 weeks.
I've dealt with fowl pox. Once your birds are over the viral disease, they will be immune to the fowl pox strain thereafter. However, they can be susceptible to other strains such as canary pox, pigeon pox etc...
Dont worry about it, keep it simple. Time heals.
If you're worried about your other birds getting bitten by infected mosquitos, consider vaccinating them. Here's where you can order the vaccine:
https://www.jefferspet.com/fowl-pox-vaccine-1000-d/p

Fowl pox is spread mainly by infected mosquitos. It is not passed through eggs, not passed through DNA, not passed through mating etc.... Depending on the severity of the infection, it can last anywhere from 4-6 weeks.
I've dealt with fowl pox. Once your birds are over the viral disease, they will be immune to the fowl pox strain thereafter. However, they can be susceptible to other strains such as canary pox, pigeon pox etc...
Dont worry about it, keep it simple. Time heals.
If you're worried about your other birds getting bitten by infected mosquitos, consider vaccinating them. Here's where you can order the vaccine:
https://www.jefferspet.com/fowl-pox-vaccine-1000-d/p
Thank you so much but we are in Mexico and I’ll be asking around for the vaccine, harder to get it where I am… And today I just found out that a rooster that was in the same building (but separated from the fowl pox girls) got the wet pox. I guess it’s the same virus and it spread by mosquito inside the building 😞😞😞. He was fine so he was back with other healthy roosters for a few days I only notice now when he started fighting he was sneezing and coughing up dry mucus and I saw inside his mouth had yellowish white bumps developing… 😔. Did you have both wet and dry pox ? Now I guess all my chickens in other areas are in danger, just isolate when they show symptoms and let time heal? Anything to help the wet pox so it doesn’t get too bad and block his airways?

I'm sorry to say that wet pox is not treatable. Birds typically starve to death or suffocate due to lesions in the trachea and/or esophagus.
I've dealt with dry fowl pox, not wet fowl pox. Personally, I would cull my birds with wet pox if it were to happen.

Back
Top Bottom