A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have a story to tell you guys since you all love speckled sussex.

You know, a while back, I was hatching a ton of eggs? Well, one of the types I was hatching was from my rhodebars because the babies would be sex linked (black ameraucana daddy). Well, I had a very odd shaped egg that I had thought was from one of my younger hens coming into lay. It hatched and as this chick grew, I had no clue where it got its coloring. It was almost spotted, kinda calico. Since it didn't have a beard, I was thinking maybe it was some kind of product from one of my silver penciled girls and the cream legbar roo instead of the rhodebar ameraucana cross that I expected. Anyway. Someone bought this chick because they loved her coloring and I even told them that I really had no clue what she was or where her colors came from. A week ago, I saw my old speckled sussex hen (she should be about 6 now) laying outside the coop panting a bit and that strange, odd shaped egg laying behind her! I was convinced that she was done laying! I didn't get an egg from her at all last year when she moved in with us and suddenly this spring, she's laying. Very sporadically of course. Though, last night, she was sleeping in a nest box. Maybe she's going broody? I just thought it was a sort of funny story. Now I really wish I could find the lady again to tell her that I solved the mystery lol.

Too funny.

Just go back through your posts that you made when you were mad at him and you should be able to figure it out.  Just off of the top of my head, I recall a post you made about him injuring your hen and another about him trying to kill your rooster.

I wasnt mad about him injuring his hen? I was just a little confused why she would sit for him to breed her and then struggle to get out. And then he slipped and she got cut.

Lol I had two rooster and a tom sleeping in the same coop during breeding season. If you can keep them from causing problems let me know. I would love to know.

Every tom I have had has caused trouble with the roos but I have been there to stop it right away. Mr. T was fine with Zeus till he started started latching onto the hen non-stop. Thats when the problems started. I never should have blamed it on just Mr. T cuz now you think he's bad but he's really not...

Anyways... I'm done now...

Aurora...my Big Betty turned 6 this spring & manages 2-3 eggs a week. She's going strong. Still the top hen. My SS are pretty easy on each other. Everytime I've introduced young birds she's mothered them along. Just love this breed.

Ralph...the whole process is quite interesting. It's quite the commitment. I really admire what you've done! Did you say you have eggs coming from Porter???? What do you have coming??? Wow! This is exciting!!

I've been waiting for Mr. T babies since last fall! That's exciting too.

I get too excited over these turkey crosses. It's just so much fun to see what they produce!

Speaking of fun crosses...Aurora, you owe us little mottled baby pictures.

Holm, Mr. T isn't a bad guy...he's just a guy! You know I love him! :)

Anyone tried a black tom turkey over blue palm hen? I'm guessing it would be mottled black with blue palm feathers.

Like @memphis said, run Porter's turkey calculator.

But your guess is wrong. It will produce Tri-color Mottled Slates and Tri-color Mottled Blacks. Neither of those will breed true but if the offspring are mated to each other they can produce up to 27 different color varieties.

OMG! Daisy is such a social gadfly! She was SO good at the party. Was on her best behavior. Didn't mind at all being with people she didn't know. Let everyone pet her or hold her. Ate raisins politely. Even the birthday girls dad said they may consider getting her pet turkeys. The grandparents loved her too. So the party was a success.

OMG! Daisy is such a social gadfly! She was SO good at the party. Was on her best behavior. Didn't mind at all being with people she didn't know. Let everyone pet her or hold her. Ate raisins politely. Even the birthday girls dad said they may consider getting her pet turkeys. The grandparents loved her too. So the party was a success.

Glad she was a gadfly.

Was she ready for a dust bath. Or did she want another trip to the salon.

Maybe if the neighbors get some turkeys they will get a tom. Then Daisy visit just for a social call.

Back
Top Bottom